A quick grilled shrimp recipe with a special Mediterranean sauce. Makes a great appetizer; or serve it for dinner with rice or your a favorite pasta! See the step-by-step tutorial below.
Where I grew up, a shrimp recipe–or any seafood recipe for that matter– is deemed successful only if it had loads of garlic.
Today’s grilled shrimp recipe does begin with garlic–a whole head of it, in fact. But, I’m taking more of a modern Mediterranean twist with it.
First, to tame it’s pungency, the garlic is roasted whole. The added bonus here is the hint of sweetness and earthiness that is brought to life when garlic is roasted.
Watch the video for this recipe…
The mellowed roasted garlic and fresh cilantro become the main ingredients for the sauce in which the quick grilled shrimp will immediately bath! A combination of lime juice; white wine; and good extra virgin olive oil completes the sauce. And a little chili paste adds a spicy kick.
What to serve alongside this grilled shrimp recipe?
This grilled shrimp is great served tapas-style with your favorite crusty bread, along with other small plates like this fattoush salad; creamy hummus; or fried eggplant and green peppers. Browse our “Small Plates” section for more ideas.
To serve it for dinner, make sure to double (or even triple) the amount of sauce, and toss in your favorite pasta to complete the meal!
Here is the step-by-step tutorial for today’s Grilled Shrimp Recipe
(Scroll down for the print-friendly recipe)
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F (you’ll need the oven to roast the garlic).
Peel, devein and rinse the prawns. Pat dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper. Place the prawns in fridge until ready to grill.
Trim top of the garlic head off; leave the garlic intact and do not peel. Drizzle with a little olive oil. Roast the garlic in the 400 degrees F-heated oven for about 10-15 minutes or until slightly tender and fragrant. When ready, remove from oven. Let cool briefly. Peel and crush or chop the garlic finely.
In a small bowl, combine the garlic with the cilantro leaves, lime juice, white wine, olive oil and chili sauce (or chili flakes). Whisk together and set aside.
When ready, heat a cast-iron grill or griddle to medium high. Dress the prawns with some olive oil and grill for 3-4 minutes or so on each side. You want to achieve some char, but be careful not to overcook.
Remove from heat and coat the prawns with the roasted garlic and cilantro sauce. Alternatively, serve the sauce on the side instead.
Grilled Shrimp with Roasted Garlic-Cilantro Sauce
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 16 mins
- Total Time: 26 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- 1.5 lb uncooked prawns
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
Roasted garlic-cilantro sauce:
- 1 small head garlic, top trimmed off
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 tbsp dry white wine
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp chili sauce like this one
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel, devein and rinse the prawns or your choice of shrimp. Pat dry and season with salt and pepper. Place the prawns in the fridge until ready to grill.
- Trim the top of the garlic head off, but leave the garlic intact. Drizzle generously with olive oil. Roast the garlic in the 400 degree F-heated oven for about 10-15 minutes or until slightly tender and fragrant. When ready, remove from the oven. Let cool briefly. Peel and crush or chop the roasted garlic as finely as possible.
- Now prepare the roasted garlic-cilantro sauce. In a small bowl, combine the roasted garlic with the remaining sauce ingredients of cilantro, lime juice, white wine, olive oil and chili sauce. Whisk together and set aside.
- When ready, lightly oil and heat a cast-iron grill or griddle to medium-high. Dress the prawns with a little olive oil and grill for 3-4 minutes on each side. You want to achieve some char, but be careful not to overcook the prawns.
- Remove the prawns from the grill to a bowl and coat well with the roasted garlic and cilantro sauce. Transfer to a serving platter. Alternatively, transfer the grilled prawns to a serving platter and simply add the roasted garlic-cilantro sauce on the side.
- Serve with pasta or rice and a green salad for dinner; or simply as a party appetizer. Enjoy!
Looking for more seafood recipes? Here are some more favorites