Best breaded chicken! Chicken cutlets are prepared to tender perfection and given a golden, perfectly crispy breading with za'atar and toasted sesame seed. Serve with tahini sauce and one of our simple Mediterranean salad.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 lb to 1.25 lb in total)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 3 to 4 tbsp Private Reserve extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour, if you prefer)
- 2 eggs whisked with 2 tbsp water (egg wash)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp plain bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 3 tbsp heaping za'atar spice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Prepare the tahini sauce according to this recipe and the salad of your choice and set aside for now.
- Place chicken breast on a cutting board. Hold it flat with the palm of your left hand (non dominant hand), and using a sharp chef's knife, carefully slice in half horizontally into two pieces. Do the same with the second chicken breast. You should end up with 4 cutlets at this point. (note, you can leave the chicken cutlets this size, or portion them to make 6 or 8 pieces in total. When pounded, they will expand.)
- Using a meat tenderizer (a kitchen hammer like this one), pound the chicken cutlets until thin.
- Pat chicken cutlets dry, and season well with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Prepare a dredging station. Place the flour and egg wash each in a shallow bowl. And in a third shallow bowl, placed on the other side of the egg wash, mix together the bread crumbs, sesame seeds, za'atar and garlic powder.
- Dredge each chicken cutlet first in the flour, then the egg wash, and finally in the bread crumb and za'atar mixture. Place prepared cutlets on a large tray for now.
- In a large 12-inch cast iron skillet, over medium heat, heat the ghee and olive oil (you want about 1/4 inch of the ghee and oil mixture in the skillet). When ghee/olive oil mixture is shimmering, add the breaded . Cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side. If needed, do this in batches, do not crowd the skillet. Place cooked cutlets on a large tray lined with paper towel very briefly to drain any excess oil.
- Serve hot with tahini sauce and your choice of Mediterranean salad or balela salad.
- Recipe adapted from Zahav: A World of Israeli Cooking.
- Recommended for this recipe! All-Natural Za'atar Spice Blend and our Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives).
- SAVE! Try our Greek Olive Oil Bundle! Our Ultimate Mediterranean Spice Bundle; or Create your own 6-pack or 3-pack from our all-natural or organic spice collections.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 4 mins
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Za'atar, Chicken, Za'atar Chicken, Breaded Chicken