Going for a little Moroccan-Spanish fusion with this spicy couscous recipe with shrimp and Chorizo! Cooks in 20 minutes!
- 2 spicy Chorizo sausages
- Olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finally chopped
- 1 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1.5 lb large shrimp (prawns),peeled, deviened and well-rinsed
- 1 1/4 cup couscous
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley, stems removed
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a heavy pot. Turn the heat to medium and add the Chorizo sausages. Cook for 7-10 mins, turning regularly, until the sausages are browned on all sides. Add 1 cup of water and cook for 3 more mins or until the sausages are fully cooked. Discard the water and remove the sausages to a cutting board. When cool enough to the touch, slice the Chorizo sausages into 1/2-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Return the pot to the stove and add 1 tbsp olive oil. Heat on medium-high. Turn the heat to medium, add the onions, Jalapeno peppers and garlic, cook briefly until onions are translucent. Now add the spices and stir briefly, then add the shrimp. Raise the heat to medium-high and cook the shrimp for 4 mins or until it is firm and pink. Do not overcook the shrimp.
- Meanwhile, boil 2 1/2 cup of water.
- Return the Chorizo to the cooking pot and add the couscous, a little olive oil, a dash of salt and the boiling water. Turn the heat off immediately and cover. Let sit for 5 minutes. Uncover and stir in the fresh parsley. Transfer to a serving dish. Enjoy as a side dish, or with other small dishes like this chickpea salad or fattoush and roasted red pepper hummus.
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Spicy Couscous, Couscous, Shrimp, Chorizo,