Easy, 20-minute spicy couscous recipe with shrimp and Chorizo! This one-pot meal is a bit of a Moroccan-Spanish fusion. Quick-cooked couscous is combined with shrimp, Spanish Chorizo, and a few warm spices. Be sure to watch the video above to see how I make it.
- 6 oz hard Spanish Chorizo, sliced into thin rounds
- Extra virgin olive oil (I used Private Reserve olive oil)
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finally chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1.5 lb large shrimp (prawns),peeled, deviened and well-rinsed
- 1 1/4 cup couscous
- Boiling water
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley, stems removed
- In a large cooking pot, heat just a little bit of extra virgin olive oil. Add the Chorizo sausages and cook just until crisp (hard Spanish chorizo should be cooked already.) Remove from heat and place on paper towels to drain.
- To the cooking pot, add onions, garlic and jalapeno, cook briefly until onions are translucent. Now add the spices and stir briefly, then add the shrimp. Raise the heat to medium-high and cook the shrimp for 3 to 4 mins or until it is firm and pink. Do not overcook the shrimp.
- Meanwhile, boil 2 1/2 cup of water.
- Return the Chorizo to the cooking pot and add the couscous, a little olive oil, a dash of salt and the boiling water. Turn the heat off immediately and cover. Let sit for 5 minutes. Uncover and stir in the fresh parsley.
- Transfer to serving bowls and enjoy! (see suggested sides)
- Cooking Tip: If you can’t find Spanish Chorizo, Mexican chorizo works here, but you must make sure to fully cook it.
- Recipe Variations: You can omit the Chorizo all togther or use a different kind of meat like cooked chicken or beef. And if you want a more mild version, use green bell peppers instead of jalapeno peppers.
- Leftovers: Store leftovers in the fridge in tight-lid glass containers for up to 3 days. I prefer not to reheat this and just eat the leftovers at room temperature!
- Visit our Store for extra virgin olive oils and for all-natural and organic spices including turmeric, paprika, and cumin.
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Couscous Recipe, How to Cook Couscous, Moroccan Couscous