Mediterranean instant pot soup recipe with chickpeas, vegetables, fresh herbs & warm spices. Vegan. GF. Low Carb. See recipe notes for stovetop and slow cooker instructions!
- 2 cups dry chickpeas
- Private Reserve or Early Harvest Greek extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, chopped
- 3 to 4 red chili peppers (optional)
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp Aleppo pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 15 oz can chopped tomatoes with juice
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 oz chopped fresh cilantro
- Place chickpeas in a large bowl and add plenty of water (about 1 quart) to fill the bowl. Leave overnight to soak. Drain well.
- Preheat your Instant Pot by selecting the saute function and adjust heat to high. Add 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and heat until shimmering. Add onions, garlic and a pinch of salt. Cook 3 mins, stirring regularly. Add carrots, bell peppers, and spices. Cook another 4 minutes or so, stirring, until vegetables have softened a bit.
- Now add drained chickpeas, tomatoes (and their juice), and broth. Lock your Instant Pot lid in place. Select the pressure cooking setting and set on high. Now set the time to 15 minutes (go 5 to 10 minutes longer, if you like your chickpeas on the super tender, creamier side)
- After cooking, allow time to let pressure release naturally. OR after 10 minutes or so, you can use the quick release function to let any remaining pressure out. Unlock and remove the lid.
- Stir in lemon juice and fresh cilantro. Carefully taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Transfer to serving bowls and drizzle extra virgin olive oil. Serve with your favorite crusty bread or this Lebanese rice.
- Important: please consult your Instant Pot or pressure cooker manual for complete safety instructions. Because there are a variety of Instant Pot or pressure cooker models out there, you will want to review the different settings and select what best works according to the manual.
- Stovetop Instructions: Use a large Dutch Oven and heeat 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. Follow step #2 above. Add chickpeas, tomatoes, and broth. Bring to a rolling boil for 5 minutes, then turn heat down. Cover and let simmer for 1 1/2 hour or until the chickpeas are tender and fully cooked through. Remove from heat. Follow steps #5 and #6.
- Slow Cooker Instructions: You will start on stovetop. Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and follow step #2 as written above. Transfer the veggies to the bottom of a large slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients (except the lemon juice and cilantro). Set slow cooker setting on high for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 8 hours. When ready, stir in lemon juice and fresh cilantro, following steps #5 and #6 as written above.
- Make-Ahead Note: This soup is even better the next day as the flavors meld. Let cool, then transfer to a glass container with a tight lid. Store in the fridge for later use. It should keep 3 to 4 days.
- Recommended for this Recipe: Private Reserve or Early Harvest Greek extra virgin olive oil. SAVE! Try our EVOO Bundle!
- Recommended for this Recipe: from our all-natural and organic spice collections, coriander, cumin, Aleppo pepper, and turmeric. SAVE! Create your own 6-pack of spices
- Category: Soup/Entree
- Method: Instant Pot/Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mediterranean/Middle Eastern
Keywords: Chickpea Soup Recipe, Instant Pot Soup Recipe, Instant Pot Soup, Vegan Soup Recipe, Slow Cooker Chickpea Soupl, Vegan Instant Pot Recipe, Low Carb Soup Recipe