All-star dairy free, gluten free, vegan pumpkin soup with red lentils, garlic and a trio of warm Mediterranean spices–coriander, cumin, and turmeric. Finished with a bright splash of fresh lemon juice. Ready in 30 minutes!
- Extra virgin olive oil (I used Private Reserve Greek olive oil)
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp organic ground coriander
- 1 tsp organic ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp organic ground turmeric
- 1 cup red lentils
- 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 3 1/2 cups quality vegetable broth, low-sodium preferred
- 2–3 tbsp gold raisins (optional)
- 1/2 fresh lemon, juice of
- 1 Zhoug cilantro pesto recipe
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted in olive oil
- Jalapeno slices for garnish (optional)
- If using, make the zhoug spicy cilantro pesto according to this recipe. Set aside for now or refrigerate.
- In a 5-quart heavy pot or Dutch oven like this one, heat 2 extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add the onions and cook until golden and translucent, tossing regularly. Stir in garlic, tomato paste, coriander, cumin, turmeric. Lower heat to medium and cook, stirring regularly, until fragrant (4 minutes or so).
- Add the lentils, pumpkin puree, broth and a little salt. Stir to combine.
- Turn heat to high and bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Then, reduce heat to medium-low, cover only part-way and cook another 20 minutes or until lentils are fully cooked. Occasionally, stir.
- Remove from heat to cool a bit. Carefully, transfer the lentil pumpkin soup to the bowl of a large food processor fitted with a blade. Puree. Return to pot over medium heat to warm through, stirring occasionally (add more liquid here if you need it.)
- Stir in raisins and fresh lemon juice. Cook another 4 minutes or so, stirring regularly. Taste and adjust salt…add a pinch more if needed. You can also adjust other spices, if you like, carefully add a little more turmeric or coriander (But remember, you’ve made zhoug pesto to add on top, so don’t overdo it)
- Divide the lentil pumkin soup into serving bowls. Top each with a teaspoon or so of zhoug spicy cilantro pesto, more raisins, and toasted pine nuts. Garnish with jalapeno slices if you like more heat. Serve hot with a side of warm pita or your favorite crusty bread. Enjoy!
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Vegan Pumpkin Soup, Dairy Free Pumpkin Soup, Red Lentil Soup, Pumpkin Soup with Canned Pumpkin