Easy homemade fish sticks that are perfectly tender on the inside, crispy on the outside. And you'll love how flavorful they are, thanks to a little seasoning and the Parmesan crust! You can make these with a white firm fish or even with salmon for a little more Omega-3!
Be sure to watch my video.
- 1 1/2 lb firm fish fillet such as salmon, skin removed (You can use a firm white fish fillet like cod)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 cup flour (all-purpose, whole wheat or gluten free flour)
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tbsp water (egg wash)
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan
- Extra virgin olive oil (I used Private Reserve Greek EVOO)
- Zest of 1 lemon and juice of 1/2 lemon to finish
- Parsley for garnish
- Heat your oven to 450 degrees F.
- Pat fish fillet dry and season with kosher salt on both sides. Cut the fish fillet into pieces or sticks (1 to 1 1/2-inch thick and about 3-inch long).
- In a small bowl, combine black pepper, dried oregano, and paprika. Season fish sticks on both sides with the spice mixture.
- Make a dredging station. Place flour in a shallow dish. Place the egg wash in a deeper dish or bowl next to the flour dish. And in another dish, combine the bread crumbs, grated Parmesan and lemon zest. Place next to the dish with the egg wash.
- Now coat the fish. Take a fish stick and dip it in the flour to coat both sides; shake excess flour off. Then dip the fish stick in the egg wash, and then in the bread crumb and Parmesan mixture. Pat to help the coating adhere to the fish stick. Repeat until all the fish sticks have been coated.
- Arrange coated fish sticks on an oiled baking sheet. Brush the tops of the fish sticks with a little extra virgin olive oil (you'll want to basically dab the salmon fish sticks with the oil so that you don't end up removing the coating).
- Place the baking sheet on the middle rack of the heated oven. Bake for about 12 to 15 minutes. If the fish sticks need more color still, place them under the broiler very briefly (watch carefully) until fish sticks gain a nice golden brown color.
- Finish with lemon zest and fresh lemon juice. Garnish with parsley.
- Serve with your favorite sauce for dipping. I used tahini sauce here, but tzatziki sauce would be great as well. Add a big salad and call it dinner (I especially like Mediterranean white bean salad or Greek salad with these salmon fish sticks
- Cook's Tip: Baking time may vary slightly depending on the kind of fish and how thick your fish sticks are. The salmon fillet in this recipe is about 1 to 1 1/2 inch-thick, cut into 3-inch long sticks.
- Storage: Leftover homemade fish sticks can be refrigerated in a tight-lid glass containers for 2 days. Serve cold or warm through in the oven.
- Visit our Online Shop to browse quality Mediterranean ingredients including olive oils and spices used in this recipe.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Fish and Seafood
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mediterranean/American
Keywords: Fish Sticks, Homemade Fish Sticks, Salmon Fish Sticks