All-star Mediterranean flatbread recipe loaded with fresh arugula, veggies, smoked salmon and other Mediterranean favorites like olives and feta! Great as a simple meal with your favorite glass of wine, or as an appetizer for a crowd.
- Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil
- Flour (any kind) for dusting
- 1 lb/ 453.59 g pizza dough (whole wheat dough, if you prefer) at room temperature (see note if you want to make dough from scratch)
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp za’atar spice, more for later
- Large handful baby arugula (about 4 oz/113.4 g)
- Scant 1 pint/400 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/3 cup or so hummus (homemade from this recipe or store-bought)
- Crumbled feta cheese, to your liking (optional)
- Few slices smoked salmon (3 to 4 oz/113 g)
- Handful pitted kalamata olives
- Handful toasted pine nuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Prepare a large sheet pan and brush with extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle the bottom of pan with cornmeal, about 2-3 tbsp.
- Lightly flour a clean work surface. Place pizza dough on top and roll and stretch dough to a 12 x 8 rectangle or oval. Transfer stretched dough to prepared sheet pan.
- Lightly brush top of dough with extra virgin olive oil and season with oregano and za’atar spice. Bake in heated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until dough is golden and slightly crisp on bottom. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, combine arugula and tomato. Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and a dash of Za’atar spice. Mix to combine. Set aside for a moment.
- Spread a thin layer of hummus evenly over the pizza crust. Top with the arugula and tomato mixture. Now arrange the remaining ingredients on top evenly. Sprinkle a little more za’atar spice and dried oregano all over.
- To serve as an appetizer, slice pizza into small rectangles. You’ll get 15 or more pieces. Enjoy!
- Prepare Ahead Tip: You can prepare the pizza dough and make crust the night before you need to serve it. Let cool completely, wrap very well in plastic wrap and store at room temperature overnight or refrigerate for up to 3 days. You can warm pizza crust up in a medium-heated oven to ensure a crispy bottom that can withstand the toppings (watch carefully not to brown the crust too much.) Add toppings as instructed.
- Tip for Making Dough from Scratch: If store-bought dough is not available to you, or if you prefer to make your own, use this recipe or this homemade pizza recipe for the dough.
- Flatbread Topping Options: You can absolutely change up the toppings to your liking (read more in detail up in the post.) A few ideas for you: 1. Make above recipe and replace smoked salmon with cooked shrimp, prosciutto, or even rotisserie chicken. 2. Keep it vegetarian by omitting salmon and adding other Mediterranean favorites like roasted red peppers or marinated artichoke hearts. 3. Use smoky baba ganoush in place of hummus (works with any of the above combinations) 4. Use basil pesto in place of hummus and use baby spinach or other greens in place of arugula.
- Recommended for this recipe: All-natural za’atar spice (a Mediterranean blend of wild thyme and toasted sesame). Find it here. SAVE! Try our Ultimate Mediterranean Spice Bundle or create your own 6-pack or 3-pack from our all-natural or organic spice collections.
- Recommended for this Recipe: Private Reserve Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives). SAVE! Try our Greek EVOO Bundle!
Keywords: Flatbread, Flatbread Recipe