Easy sautéed yellow squash recipe, prepared Mediterranean-style with sweet onions, bell peppers, garlic and a warm Eastern Mediterranean spice combination. You can totally tailor this recipe to your liking, check out the notes for recipe variations.
- Extra virgin olive oil (I used our Greek Early Harvest olive oil)
- 1 sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 medium yellow squash
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- Pitted marinated olives, sliced (optional)
- Handful chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Heat 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil over medium heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add sweet onions and cook for about 4 minutes until translucent (you can raise heat to medium-hot and toss onions regularly.)
- Add garlic, yellow squash, and red bell peppers. Drizzle a little more extra virgin olive oil.
- Season with salt, pepper, and spice mixture. Toss with a wooden spoon to make sure vegetables are well coated with the spices. Cook on medium-high, stirring occasionally, until squash and peppers are nice and tender (I like my squash to have some carmalized parts, so it helps to raise the heat for a little while.)
- Transfer to a serving platter. Add another drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a generous pinch of za'atar. If you like, add a sprinkle of crumbled feta cheese, pitted olives, and a handful of chopped fresh herbs like parsley. Enjoy!
- Cook's Tip: Cooking time will vary depending on how tender you like your squash. Personally, I like to get a little caramalization/char on my yellow squash, so, I turn up the heat for a short while to accomplish that while maintaining some bite to the squash.
- Recipe Variations: This is a super forgiving recipe and is meant to be tailored to your taste. You can mix things up and use a combination of yellow squash and zucchini. Or try a different combination of spices. For example, go the Italian route with a little dried oregano and fresh thyme.
- Serve it next to your favorite protein such as Mediterranean lemon chicken; baked fish; fish gyros; or kofta kabobs!
- Visit The Mediterranean Dish online store for our Greek extra virgin olive oils (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives), and browse our selection of all-natural and organic spices, including Za'atar, Aleppo Pepper, and Cumin.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Vegetarian/Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: yellow squash recipe, sauteed yellow squash, stovetop summer squash