Moroccan-spiced lamb, cooked to tender perfection with carrots, chickpeas and dried apricots. Braising and slow cooker instructions included.
- Private Reserve Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, cubed
- 6 Yukon gold potatoes (or any small potatoes), peeled, cubed
- 2.5 lb boneless leg of American lamb, fat trimmed, cut into cubes (Or American lamb shoulder, bones removed, fat-trimmed)
- 3 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- ½ cup dried apricots
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ½ tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp ras el hanout (Moroccan spice blend)
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 6 plum tomatoes from a can, cut in halves
- 2 ½ cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy oven-safe pot, heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat until shimmering but not smoking.
- In the heated oil, saute the onions, carrots, and potatoes for 4 minutes or so. Add the garlic and season with salt and pepper. Remove from the pot and set aside briefly.
- In the same pot, add more oil if needed, and deeply brown the lamb on all sides. Season with salt and pepper.
- Turn heat to medium-high and return the sauteed vegetables to the pot. Add the dried apricots, cinnamon stick, bay leaf and spices and stir to coat.
- Add the plum tomatoes and broth and bring everything to a boil for 5 minutes or so.
- Cover the pot and place in the 350 degrees F heated-oven for 1 ½ hours (check partway through to add water or broth if needed). Now stir in the chickpeas, cover and return to the oven for another 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot with your choice of Lebanese rice, couscous, pita bread or your favorite rustic bread.
- A simple Mediterranean salad like Fattoush makes a great starter for this hearty meal. Enjoy!
- Slow-Cooker Instructions: If you prefer, after step #5 is completed, transfer the lamb stew to a large slow cooker insert. Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours, or on low for 5 to 6 hours.
- Recommended for this Recipe: all-natural Ras El Hanout spice blend and ground allspice. SAVE! Create your own 6-pack from our all-natural and organic spice collections.
- Have you tried our Greek olive oils yet? Exquisite olive oils from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives, straight from family owned groves in Greece! I used Private Reserve EVOO in this recipe. See our EVOO Bundle here.
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stewed
- Cuisine: Moroccan
Keywords: lamb stew, Moroccan Lamb Stew