- Extra virgin olive oil (I used Private Reserve Greek EVOO)
- 16 oz baby bella mushrooms, cleaned well and halved or sliced
- Kosher salt
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 8 oz white mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
- ½ cup canned crushed tomatoes
- Black pepper
- 1 tsp coriander
- ½ tsp to ¾ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- 6 cups low-sodium broth (vegetable broth or beef broth)
- 1 cup pearl barley rinsed
- ½ cup packed chopped parsley
- In a large Dutch Oven, heat extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add baby bell mushrooms and cook until mushrooms soften and gain some color (about 5 minutes or so). Remove from the pot and set aside for now.
- In the same pot, add a little more extra virgin olive oil. Add onions, garlic, celery, carrots, and chopped white mushrooms. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes over medium-high heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Now, add crushed tomatoes and spices (coriander, smoked paprika, cumin). Cook for 3 minutes or so, tossing regularly.
- Add broth and pearl barley. Bring to a rolling boil for 5 minutes, then turn heat down. Cover and let simmer over low heat for about 45 minutes until the barley is tender and cooked through.
- Add the cooked bella mushrooms back to the pot and stir to combine. Cook for about 5 minutes or so until mushrooms are well warmed through.
- Finish with fresh parsley. Transfer to serving bowls and enjoy!
- Cook's Tip: Use pearl barley in this recipe because it does cook quicker. However, if you have hulled barley, you can use it as well. It will take a bit longer to cook (I'd budget at least 20 minutes longer).
- Cook's Tip: If you want an even more smoky finish, add another pinch smoked paprika.
- Leftover Storage Instructions: This barley soup will keep well in the fridge for 4 days, if stored properly. Cool completely before transferring to a tight-lid glass container to refrigerate. You can freeze leftovers for later use. Thaw in the fridge overnight. Reheat over medium heat, adding a bit more broth to help the consistency.
- Visit our shop to browse Mediterranean ingredients including olive oils and spices used in this recipe
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Barley Soup, Mushroom Barley Soup, Vegetarian Barley Soup, Vegan Mushroom Barley Soup