This potato casserole recipe comes with a bit of an Egyptian twist. Potato wedges are combined with carrots and bell peppers, then topped with a spiced meat sauce. We use lean ground beef or ground turkey here.
For Meat Sauce
- 2 tbsp Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb lean organic ground beef (or ground Turkey, if you prefer)
- 1 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp sweet Spanish paprika
- Salt and pepper
- 1 28-oz can peeled tomato
- 1/2 cup water
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- To make the meat sauce, in a large non-stick skillet, heat 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil. Add chopped onions and cook, tossing regularly, till translucent. Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds or so.
- Add the ground meat (lean beef or turkey), break it up using a wooden spoon. Season with spices, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring regularly, until fully browned. Now add the peeled tomatoes and water. Using your wooden spoon, smash or break up the tomatoes a bit. Bring to a boil, then lower heat, cover and let the meat sauce simmer for 10 minutes. Check to see if you might like to add a little more water. Taste and adjust salt and pepper.
- In a 9″ x 13″ baking pan like this one, arrange the potato wedges, carrots, and bell peppers. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle allspice and coriander. Toss to combine. Add about 3/4 cup water, then top with the meat sauce.
- Cover the baking pan with foil and bake in heated oven for 30 minutes or so. Uncover and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove from oven and top with fresh chopped parsley.
- To serve, add a side of Lebanese rice, if you like. A fresh salad such as this Mediterranean salad, Greek Salad, or Fattoush is a good start to this hearty meal.
- Recommended for this recipe: Private Reserve Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives). And from our all-natural and organic spice collections: allspice, coriander, and Spanish paprika.
- SAVE!! SAVE!! Try our Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil Bundle and our Ultimate Mediterranean Spice Bundle. Or create your own 6-pack or 3-pack from our all-natural and organic spice collections!
- Visit our store to browse our spices, olive oils and bundles!
- Category: Entree
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Egyptian
Keywords: Potato Casserole, Egyptian Casserole, Egyptian Potato Casserole