Easy, quick-seared buttery scallops, nestled in a flavor-packed mixture of tomatoes and bell peppers! You'll love the bold Mediterranean flavors in this scallops recipe--fresh garlic, shallots, capers, oregano and more.
- Extra virgin olive oil (find our olive oil bundle here)
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cored, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cored, cut into thin strips
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 oz grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp capers, drained
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 lb wild-caught sea scallops (thawed if had been frozen)
- Splash of fresh lemon juice
- Handful fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat 2 to 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil over medium heat until shimmering but not smoking.
- Add shallots, red bell peppers, and green bell peppers. Raise the heat to medium-high, and cook for about 3 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Add minced garlic, tomatoes, and capers. Season with just a pinch of kosher salt and black pepper. Add oregano, cumin and paprika. Toss to combine. Cook for another 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Keep warm while you work on scallops.
- In a separate skillet, heat another 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. Add scallops and cook for 2 minutes on one side, turn over and cook another 1 to 2 minutes (do not overcook).
- Transfer scallops immediately to the other pan and nestle them in the tomatoes and peppers mixture. Squeeze just a little bit of lemon juice all over. Garnish with parsley.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately over a bed of lemon rice or plain orzo.
- Cook's Tip #1: Because scallops cook quickly, be sure to have prepared other parts of your meal in advance. If serving with rice or pasta, for example, have those cooked first. Also prepare any salads or starters in advance.
- Cook's Tip #2: For dinner, this scallops recipe will serve 4. But, you can serve it as a fancy appetizer to please a little crowd of 6 to 8. Add some crusty bread, or grilled French baguette slices to carry these saucy scallops.
- What else to serve with this meal? Antipasto skewers make a great starter here. And for a salad, try something like this simple avocado salad or this 3-ingredient Mediterranean salad.
- How long will scallops keep? Personally, I think it's best to cook and eat these scallops immediately. But if you have a little leftover, you can store it in the fridge for one or two nights. Best to eat leftovers cold or at room temperature.
- Visit our shop to check out olive oil bundles and all-natural and organic spices and more!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 13 mins
- Category: Seafood
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Scallops Recipe, Seared Scallops, Easy Scallops, How to Cook Scallops