Italian-style strata recipe made with flaky fillo (phyllo) crust. Not your average breakfast casserole! Be sure to see the video and the step-by-step tutorial below the recipe!
- 3/4 lb low-fat Italian chicken sausage, casings removed
- Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 2 cup chopped bell peppers (I used a mixture of green bell pepper, red bell pepper and yellow bell pepper)
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- pinch salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup sundried tomato bits
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 2/3 cup canned diced tomato
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 16 sheets The Fillo Factory Organic Fillo Dough, thawed overnight in fridge
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- First make the strata filling: Heat a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat and add the chicken sausage. Saute until browned, breaking it up into small bite-sized pieces (about 7 minutes). Transfer the sausage to a large bowl and set aside for now.
- In the same skillet, or a different one if you prefer, heat 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. Saute the chopped onions, peppers and celery for about 4 minutes. Add dried oregano, salt and pepper. Transfer to the same bowl with the chicken sausage. Set aside to cool briefly, then add add the sundried tomato bits, parsley, and diced tomato. Mix everything together until well-combined.
- In a separate bowl whisk the eggs and milk together, set aside for now.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the butter in a smaller bowl and melt briefly in the microwave. To the melted butter, add 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil and mix with a fork.
- Prepare a 9″ X 13″ heavy baking pan like this one or something similar. Brush the pan with a bit of the butter-oil mixture.
- Place 16 sheets of The Fillo Factory Fillo Dough on a clean and lightly damp kitchen towel. Trim the fillo sheets slightly with a pair of scissors, and cover with another clean and lightly damp towel. Keep the fillo covered as much as you can while working.
- Now, line the baking pan with 1 fillo sheet. Brush generously with the butter-oil mixture. Fold in excess fillo. Repeat with next 7 sheets.
- Sprinkle the top of the last fillo sheet with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Lay the next 8 sheets of fillo, one sheet at a time. Brush each sheet with the butter-olive oil mixture, but do not fold. Instead, drape any excess fillo to make a “nest” for the strata filling.
- Now spread the strata filling evenly across the pan lined with fillo dough. Pour in the egg-milk mixture,and fold the excess fillo in to “encase” the strata filling.
- Bake in the 350 degrees F heated-oven for 30-40 minutes or until the eggs dry and the strata filling puffs up. Remove from heat; wait 4-5 minutes and cut into 12 squares. Serve warm with your favorite salad.
- See step-by-step photos below
- Easy salads to serve with this strata: 3-Ingredient Mediterranean Salad; Mediterranean Fresh Herbs and Tomato Salad
- Prepare ahead option:
1) You can prepare the strata filling (sausage and vegetables mixture) a night or two before. Place in a bowl or container, and cover and refrigerate until ready to assemble the strata.
2) Another option is to cook the strata a day in advance and simply re-heat in a 300 degree F oven for a few minutes watching carefully. In this case, however, the strata egg portion is not as fluffy.
- Recommended for this Recipe: Our Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives!)
- Visit our store to browse our spices, olive oils and bundles!
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Breakfast Strata, Fillo Crust, Phyllo Crust, Italian Strata, Italian Breakfast, Hearty breakfast