Easy Mediterranean baked fish recipe with tomatoes and capers. A bright, delicate and flavor-packed baked fish that comes together in just 35 minutes! Make your salads and sides before you make the fish.
- 1/3 cup Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, diced (3 cups diced tomatoes. Use quality canned tomatoes, if you like)
- 10 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp organic ground coriander
- 1 tsp all-natural sweet Spanish paprika
- 1 tsp organic ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 1/2 tbsp capers
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1 1/2 lb white fish fillet such as cod fillet or halibut fillet (wild, if possible)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon or more to your liking
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Fresh parsley or mint for garnish
- Prepare the tomato and capers sauce. In a medium saucepan, heat extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add onions, cook for 3 minutes until it begins to turn gold in color, tossing regularly. Add tomatoes, garlic, spices, pinch of salt (not too much) and pepper, capers, and raisins. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to medium-low and let simmer for 15 minutes or so.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pat fish dry and season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Pour 1/2 of the cooked tomato sauce into the bottom of a 9 1/2″ x 13″ baking dish. Arrange the fish on top. Add lemon juice and lemon zest, then top with the remaining tomato sauce.
- Bake in 400 degrees F heated-oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until fish is cooked through and flakes easily (do not over-cook). Remove from heat and garnish with fresh parsley or mint to your liking.
- Serve hot with Mediterranean grilled zucchini, Greek potatoes, or Lebanese rice. (See other suggestions for sides or salads up in the post)
- Recipe note: As mentioned earlier in the post, because this is a quick recipe, and the fish must be served hot, be sure to prepare your sides and salads before you bake the fish.
- Recommended for this recipe: Our Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives.
- From our all-natural and organic spice collections: Coriander, Sweet Spanish Paprika, and Cumin
- SAVE! Try our Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil Bundle; Create your own 6-pack or 3-pack from our all-natural or organic spices! Or grab our Ultimate Mediterranean Spice Bundle
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Seafood
Keywords: Easy Baked Fish Fillet, fish with capers