This Mediterranean baked fish takes on a simple sauce with tomatoes and capers. Comes together in 35 minutes! It’s delicious, plus healthy (low-carb; low-calorie; gluten free). And I have the perfect Mediterranean sides and salads to complete the menu.
Be sure to watch my video below and you’ll see how easy it is to make this baked fish.
If you’ve glanced at my Mediterranean diet shopping list (which you should totally print out and use), you’ve already noticed that fish and seafood do take some prominence. In fact, at my house, we try to do a fish dinner twice per week and the options are plenty from lemon baked cod, to salmon kabobs, and even grilled swordfish.
Ah but this saucy Mediterranean baked fish is unique and next level delicious!
Why this Mediterranean Baked Fish Recipe works
The gist, succulent white fish (cod or halibut will work) baked in a fresh tomato sauce with capers and raisins. It’s a delicate, and flavor-packed baked fish that’s a slight nod to my earlier Sicilian-style fish stew. An eastern Mediterranean spice trio –coriander, paprika, and cumin–take it to a new level of delicious.
Best part, this recipe takes 35 minutes start-to-finish!
What to serve with this Mediterranean Baked Fish Recipe
There are plenty of sides and salads that would make the perfect menu along with this baked fish recipe. These few come to mind: Mediterranean grilled zucchini, Greek Roasted Potatoes, Lebanese Rice, Balela Salad, Mediterranean Couscous Salad, or simple Greek Salad.
Because this baked fish is quick to prepare, and should be eaten hot, be sure to prepare your sides and salads before you begin cooking the fish.
Watch How to Make This Baked Fish Fillet Recipe
Easy Mediterranean baked fish recipe with tomatoes and capers. A bright, delicate and flavor-packed baked fish that comes together in just 35 minutes! Make your salads and sides before you make the fish.
- 1/3 cup Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, diced (3 cups diced tomatoes. Use quality canned tomatoes, if you like)
- 10 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp organic ground coriander
- 1 tsp all-natural sweet Spanish paprika
- 1 tsp organic ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 1/2 tbsp capers
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1 1/2 lb white fish fillet such as cod fillet or halibut fillet (wild, if possible)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon or more to your liking
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Fresh parsley or mint for garnish
- Prepare the tomato and capers sauce. In a medium saucepan, heat extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add onions, cook for 3 minutes until it begins to turn gold in color, tossing regularly. Add tomatoes, garlic, spices, pinch of salt (not too much) and pepper, capers, and raisins. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down to medium-low and let simmer for 15 minutes or so.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pat fish dry and season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Pour 1/2 of the cooked tomato sauce into the bottom of a 9 1/2″ x 13″ baking dish. Arrange the fish on top. Add lemon juice and lemon zest, then top with the remaining tomato sauce.
- Bake in 400 degrees F heated-oven for 15 to 18 minutes or until fish is cooked through and flakes easily (do not over-cook). Remove from heat and garnish with fresh parsley or mint to your liking.
- Serve hot with Mediterranean grilled zucchini, Greek potatoes, or Lebanese rice. (See other suggestions for sides or salads up in the post)
- Recipe note: As mentioned earlier in the post, because this is a quick recipe, and the fish must be served hot, be sure to prepare your sides and salads before you bake the fish.
- Recommended for this recipe: Our Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives.
- From our all-natural and organic spice collections: Coriander, Sweet Spanish Paprika, and Cumin
- SAVE! Try our Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil Bundle; Create your own 6-pack or 3-pack from our all-natural or organic spices! Or grab our Ultimate Mediterranean Spice Bundle
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Seafood
Keywords: Easy Baked Fish Fillet, fish with capers