As we follow the Mediterranean diet, my family eats fish fairly frequently–twice per week, most weeks. Admittedly, we do quite a bit of salmon, halibut, sole, or even canned tuna. But on days I run into a great swordfish sale, no question this swordfish recipe becomes dinner.
Aside from it’s many health benefits, swordfish is like the steak of the sea–satisfying, sturdy, and takes well to serious spices and marinades.
This grilled swordfish recipe is quite simple. It starts with a thick cumin spice marinade–oh, with 12 garlic cloves and excellent EVOO, of course! The swordfish are basically covered in this quick marinade, then grilled to perfection.
By the way, you can make this on any given weeknight, it doesn’t require a ton of marinating time. Just set the marinated fish aside while the grill is heating! But of course, if you’re not in a hurry, then cover and refrigerate for 1 to 3 hours.
Easy grilled swordfish recipe that utilizes a great Mediterranean marinade with cumin, fresh garlic cloves and more. But you don’t even need to leave it in the marinade too long! Just a few minutes while your grill is heating!
- 12 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup Private Reserve extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp sweet Spanish paprika
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 7-oz swordfish steaks from sustainable sources
- Crushed red pepper, optional
- In a food processor, blend the garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, spices, salt and pepper for about three minutes or until well-combined forming a thick and smooth wet spice rub.
- Pat the swordfish steaks dry and apply the spice rub mixture generously on both sides.
- Now place the swordfish steaks in a dish and set aside for a few minutes while you heat up the grill. (If you have time, though, cover and refrigerate for 1 to 3 hours).
- Preheat a gas grill on high (be sure to have wiped the grates with an oiled paper towel). When ready, grill the fish steaks on high heat for 5 to 6 minutes on each side (a total of 10-12 minutes), turning over only once. Serve immediately. Add a pinch of crushed red pepper, if you want some heat!
- Prepare any sides or salads before you get to the fish; it goes fast
- You may need to adjust the grilling time depending on the thickness of the swordfish steaks (10 minutes on the grill per 1″ of thickness is recommended). Grills do vary, I use this Weber grill.
- Recommended for this Recipe Our Private Reserve extra virgin olive oil; organic cumin; coriander; sweet Spanish paprika .
- SAVE! Try our Ultimate Mediterranean Spice Bundle; or create your own 3-pack or 6-pack of our all-natural and organic spices!
Keywords: Grilled Swordfish, Mediterranean Swordfish, Swordfish with Cumin Spice Rub
More Recipes to Try