If you’re looking for a light; no-mayonnaise; best potato salad out there…you have just found it! This mustard potato salad, prepared Mediterranean style, will not disappoint.
Every culture, and almost every household, has its own treasured potato salad recipe. Mine is this mustard potato salad recipe; it’s one with Mediterranean influence, perhaps even a bit of French flare.
Why this mustard potato salad works for those who follow the Mediterranean diet isn’t hard to figure out. Firstly, this is a lighter, no-mayonnaise potato salad that relies more on quality extra virgin olive oil and Dijon mustard for a dressing.
Favorite Mediterranean spices, onions, and fresh herbs, including dill–a forgotten herb that pairs especially well with potatoes–add flavor. And my absolute favorite part, capers. The tiny, salty, olive-like green things, add texture and tang. You can use green olives, pitted and finely chopped, instead, if you like.
Tips for Mustard Potato Salad
A couple tricks that make a difference in this mustard potato salad. First, slice the potatoes before cooking; this preserves their shape and texture. Secondly, to infuse the potatoes with flavor, pour the vinaigrette over while they are still warm and let them sit for 10 minutes or so.
Mediterranean-Style Mustard Potato Salad
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 6
- Total Time: 21 minutes
- Yield: 6
- 1 1/2 lb baby potatoes (gold or red potatoes), unpeeled
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chopped red onions
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped dill
- 2 tbsp capers
- Wash and dry potatoes. Slice potatoes thinly using a mandoline slicer like this one.
- Place potatoes in a pot and add water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil. Add salt and turn to simmer until potatoes are tender about 6 minutes or so.
- In the meantime, add vinaigrette ingredients to a small bowl and whisk until well-combined
- When potatoes are ready, remove from heat and drain. Place potatoes on a tray or baking sheet and immediately add the vinaigrette (while potatoes are warm), toss to coat. Let potatoes sit for 10 minutes until flavors meld.
- Add onions, fresh herbs, and capers. Toss gently to combine.
- Transfer potatoes to a serving dish or bowl. Serve at room temperature.
- Make-ahead instructions You can make this mustard potato salad ahead of time. Dress the potatoes with the vinaigrette but hold the onions, herbs and capers until later. Refrigerate up to 8 hours. Before serving, add the onions, herbs and capers and toss. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Recommended for this Recipe our Early Harvest or Private Reserve extra virgin olive oil. Sumac Spice; and Coriander .
- SAVE! Try our Ultimate Mediterranean Spice Bundle, or create your own 6-pack or 3-pack of our all-natural and organic spices.
More Recipes to Try