Easy Mediterranean-style breakfast toast with hummus, garden vegetables, and other Mediterranean favorites. A healthy way to start your day! Be sure to check out the tips and ideas.
- 4 thick slices whole grain or whole wheat bread of choice
- 1/2 cup/123 g hummus (homemade or quality store-bought)
- Za’atar spice blend, to your liking
- Handful baby arugula
- 1 cucumber, sliced into rounds
- 1 to 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced into rounds
- 2 tbsp/about 16 g chopped olives of your choice
- Crumbled feta cheese, a sprinkle to your liking
- Toast bread slices to your liking
- Spread about 2 tbsp hummus on each slice of bread. Add a generous sprinkle of Za’atar spice, then load on the arugula and remaining toppings. Enjoy!
- Cook’s Tip: To get the most out of your breakfast toast, be sure to use a hearty and healthy bread like an organic whole grain or whole wheat bread. One slice is often enough if you’re eating quality nutrition-packed bread. Don’t want to use bread, try sweet potato toasts as an alternative.
- Prepare-Ahead Tips: to make these breakfast toasts on the fly any given morning, just have your choice of veggies and other toppings prepped and refrigerated in air-tight glass containers. I like to store mine in small separate containers.
- Breakfast Toast Variations: You can change up your breakfast toasts by choosing a different hummus (roasted red pepper hummus; garlic hummus etc.) Use other veggies you might have on hand. Raw or even leftover roasted veggies will work. And if you need more protein, add a boiled egg or shredded rotisserie chicken on top (heck, I’ve even done leftover chicken shawarma before.)
- Shop our all-natural and organic spice collections and other Mediterranean favorites here.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: No-Cook
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: breakfast toast, hummus, savory breakfast toast