In my book, a savory breakfast toast--Mediterranean-style, of course-- is the perfect way to start the day! Loaded with hummus, veggies and other Mediterranean favorites, it is a healthy, nutrition-packed and super satisfying breakfast...plus, DELICIOUS! Be sure to check out all my tips and ideas for the perfect savory breakfast toast.
This post is brought to you by Sabra.
A few weeks back, we talked about what a Mediterranean diet breakfast looks like. And I've since heard from many of you asking for more quick Mediterranean breakfast ideas. My answer? Grab some hummus!
It's no secret that I'm a big fan of hummus. If you stop by my house at any point in time, I'd probably whip up a bowl of roasted garlic hummus to get us started. But equally exciting to me is a simple breakfast toast slathered with plain hummus and loaded with veggies, olives, and maybe a sprinkle of za'atar and good feta.
I make these savory breakfast toast with hummus on a regular basis. They're convenient, nutrition-packed, and very filling. And let's get this out there right now, if you don't feel like dirtying your food processor, no sweat. A good store-bought hummus works great here.
Ready to get on the savory breakfast toast wagon? I've got a few tips for you...
Breakfast Toast Tips and Ideas
1.To get the most out of your breakfast toast, be sure to use a hearty and healthy bread like an organic whole grain or whole wheat bread. One slice is often enough if you're eating quality nutrition-packed bread. If you don't want to use bread, make sweet potato toast as an alternative!
2. To make savory breakfast toast on the fly any given morning, just have your veggies and other toppings prepped and refrigerated in air-tight glass containers. I like to store mine in small separate containers.
3- Breakfast toast variations...the possibilities are endless! You can use traditional hummus; roasted red pepper hummus; garlic hummus (or try any of these ready hummus flavors!) And take the opportunity to use up veggies you already have on hand. I often have cucumbers and tomatoes, so that's what I used here. You can use other raw vegetables like bell peppers, broccoli, avocado (technically a fruit), or even leftover roasted veggies!
If you need more protein, add a boiled egg or shredded rotisserie chicken on top (heck, I've even done leftover chicken shawarma!)
More Recipes To Try:
Easy Mediterranean-style breakfast toast with hummus, garden vegetables, and other Mediterranean favorites. A healthy way to start your day! Be sure to check out the tips and ideas.
- 4 thick slices whole grain or whole wheat bread of choice
- ½ cup/123 g hummus (homemade or quality store-bought)
- Za'atar spice blend, to your liking
- Handful baby arugula
- 1 cucumber, sliced into rounds
- 1 to 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced into rounds
- 2 tbsp/about 16 g chopped olives of your choice
- Crumbled feta cheese, a sprinkle to your liking
- Toast bread slices to your liking
- Spread about 2 tablespoon hummus on each slice of bread. Add a generous sprinkle of Za'atar spice, then load on the arugula and remaining toppings. Enjoy!
- Cook's Tip: To get the most out of your breakfast toast, be sure to use a hearty and healthy bread like an organic whole grain or whole wheat bread. One slice is often enough if you're eating quality nutrition-packed bread. Don't want to use bread, try sweet potato toasts as an alternative.
- Prepare-Ahead Tips: to make these breakfast toasts on the fly any given morning, just have your choice of veggies and other toppings prepped and refrigerated in air-tight glass containers. I like to store mine in small separate containers.
- Breakfast Toast Variations: You can change up your breakfast toasts by choosing a different hummus (roasted red pepper hummus; garlic hummus etc.) Use other veggies you might have on hand. Raw or even leftover roasted veggies will work. And if you need more protein, add a boiled egg or shredded rotisserie chicken on top (heck, I've even done leftover chicken shawarma before.)
- Shop our all-natural and organic spice collections and other Mediterranean favorites here.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: No-Cook
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: breakfast toast, hummus, savory breakfast toast