This Mediterranean-style steamed salmon with garlic, lemon and fresh herbs is the perfect quick dinner! You get spectacular results--perfectly cooked salmon that is tender, moist, and flavor-packed--with very little effort. Be sure to check out the step-by-step tutorial above, and grab my tips and suggested sides and salads!
- 1 yellow onion, halved and sliced
- 4 green onions (spring onions), trimmed and sliced lengthwise, divided
- 1 lb skin-on salmon fillet (such as wild Alaskan), cut into 4 portions
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1 tsp/ 1.67 g ground coriander
- 1 tsp/2.6 g ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp/ 1.33 g Aleppo pepper
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil (I used Private Reserve Greek EVOO)
- A large handful fresh parsley (about 28 g)
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine (or you can use water or low-sodium broth, if you prefer)
- Cut a large piece of wax paper or parchment (about 2 feet long) and place it right in the center of a 10-inch deep pan or braiser (like this one)
- Place the sliced yellow onions and some of the green onions the onions on the bottom of your braiser that's been lined with parchment. Arrange salmon, skin-side down, on top. Season with kosher salt and black pepper.
- In a small bowl, mix together the coriander, cumin, and Aleppo pepper. Coat top of salmon with the spice mixture. Drizzle with a little bit of extra virgin olive oil.
- Add garlic, parsley and the remaining green onions on top of the salmon (arrange so that everything is spread evenly over the salmon portions.) Arrange lemon slices on top.
- Add another drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, then pour the white wine.
- Now, fold the parchment paper over to cover salmon and secure the edges. Cover the braiser with its lid as well.
- Place over medium-high heat and cook for 5 minutes (do NOT uncover.) Lower heat to medium and cook for another 8 minutes or so, covered still.
- Remove from heat and let rest undisturbed for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and serve directly from pan/braiser.
- Cook's tip: You need a pan or braiser with a lid to make this steamed salmon. The parchment paper is also necessary, it traps the steam in and allows the salmon to gently cook until nice and tender. Resist the temptation to uncover or open up the parchment at all.
- What to Serve Along? This salmon is perfect on top of a bed of Greek lemon rice , Lebanese rice, or your favorite grain. Add a side of this beautiful asparagus, or a hearty salad like Balela or fattoush!
- Visit The Mediterranean Dish online store for all-natural and organic spices and our collection of Greek extra virgin olive oils (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives.)
- Recipe adapted from Istanbul and Beyond
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Fish and Seafood
- Method: Steamed
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Steamed Salmon, Steamed Fish, How to Steam Fish