An easy and healthy Mediterranean mezze platter is a sure and healthy way to please a crowd!
- 2 baby eggplants, sliced lengthwise (1/2″ or so in width)
- Olive oil
- Traditional Creamy Hummus or 10-oz tub quality store-bought alternative
- Homemade Roasted Red Pepper Hummus or 10-oz tub quality store-bought alternative
- 1/2 bell pepper, any color, cored
- Homemade Greek Tzatziki or quality store-bought tzatziki
- 6 Campari tomatoes, quartered
- 6 Persian (baby) cucumbers, sliced into spears
- Pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 15-oz can good quality marinated artichoke hearts
- 6 oz Greek feta cheese, cubed (not crumbled)
- 6 oz baby mozzarella cheese balls
- 3 oz prosciutto di parma
- 6 California fresh figs, halved (substituent: seedless grapes)
- 1 tsp sumac
- Pita bread or your choice of rustic European bread for serving
- Place the eggplant slices on some paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Let the eggplants “sweat out” any bitterness for 20 minutes or so. Pat dry.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the eggplant slices on a lightly oiled baking pan, drizzle generously with olive oil. Roast for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, assemble the remaining ingredients on a large serving platters. Begin with the two hummus spreads on opposite sides. Place Tzatziki sauce in the cored bell pepper right at the center of the platter. Assemble the remaining ingredients on the platter to your liking. When the eggplant is roasted to a nice medium-brown, remove it from the oven and sprinkle with 1 tsp of sumac. Add the roasted eggplant to the platter.
- You can cover and refrigerate this mezze party platter; take it out a few minutes before your guests arrive. Enjoy with warm pita and crostini or your choice of crackers!
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Mezze platter, party platter, middle eastern appetizer