My family’s secret Mediterranean chickpea salad is loaded with crunchy veggies, fresh herbs, and a tangy garlic and lime dressing! A Mediterranean diet recipe that’s a winner every time
Tips and video provided up in the post.
- 1 large eggplant, thinly sliced (no more than 1/4 inch in thickness)
- oil for frying, preferably extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup cooked or canned chickpeas, drained
- 3 tbsp Za’atar spice, divided
- 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 English cucumber, diced
- 1 small red onion, sliced in 1/2 moons
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup chopped dill
For the Garlic Vinaigrette:
- 1–2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large lime, juice of
- 1/3 cup Early Harvest extra virgin olive oil
- Prepare Eggplant (optional) Place the sliced eggplant on a large tray and sprinkle generously with salt. Let it sit for 30 minutes (the eggplant will “sweat out” its bitterness as it sits.) Now line another large tray or baking sheet with a paper bag topped with paper towel and place it near the stove.
- Cook Eggplant (optional). Pat the eggplant dry. Heat 4 to 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil over medium/medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Fry the eggplant in the oil in batches (do this carefully and do not crowd the skillet). When the eggplant slices turn golden brown on one side, turn over and fry on the other side. Remove the eggplant slices with a slotted spatula and arrange them on the paper towel-lined tray to drain and cool.
- Once cooled, assemble the eggplant on a serving dish. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp of Za’atar.
- Prepare chickpea salad. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the tomatoes, cucumbers, chickpeas, red onions, parsley and dill. Add the remaining Za’atar, and mix gently.
- Prepare the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing. Drizzle 2 tbsp of the salad dressing over the fried eggplant; pour the remaining dressing over the chickpea salad and mix.
- Add the chickpea salad to the serving dish with the eggplant.
- What to Serve it With: This salad will serve up to 6 people as a starter to a meal, or 3 to 4 people as a main course with eggplant or your favorite chicken, salmon, or your favorite fish or meat.
- Eggplant roasting instructions: If you prefer to bake the eggplant instead, arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Drizzle generously with oil/olive oil, and roast for 20 mins or so in a 400 degrees F heated oven. Turn over half-way through.
- Recommended for this Recipe our all-natural Za’atar, and Early Harvest extra virgin olive oil for an exquisite salad dressing.
- Visit our online shop to browse quality Mediterranean ingredients.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Tossed
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Mediterranean chickpea salad, chickpea salad