This recipe is all you need to make crispy, tender roasted eggplant slices. Here we give the roasted eggplant a bit of a Mediterranean twist with warm seasonings like za'atar and sumac, a handful of fresh parsley, roasted pine nuts and pomegranate. Serve it with tahini sauce and warm pita! You can use the basic recipe and change up the seasonings to your liking. See notes.
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into 3/4-inch to 1-inch rounds
- Kosher salt
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (I used Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil)
- Seasoning of your choice (I used a generous sprinkle of za'atar and sumac)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils (seeds)
- Toasted pine nuts, a handful
For Tahini Sauce
- Make this Tahini Sauce Recipe
- Sprinkle both sides of eggplant slices with kosher salt and arrange on a large tray lined with paper towels. Leave for 30 minutes to allow the eggplant to "sweat."
- Meanwhile, arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F. Make the tahini sauce according to this recipe and set aside for now.
- Pat the eggplant slices dry and brush both sides generously with extra virgin olive oil (I used Private Reserve Greek EVOO). Arrange eggplant slices on a lightly-oiled baking sheet (make sure to space them out well). Roast in heated oven for 20 minutes, turn over using a spatula and roast for another 10 to 15 minutes or until the eggplant turns golden brown.
- When the roasted eggplant is ready, remove from oven (there should not be too much excess oil, but if you like, you can carefully place the eggplant slices on a try lined with paper towel to drain.) Arrange on a serving platter and sprinkle with seasoning of choice (I used about 1 to 1 1/2 tsp of za'atar and a similar amount of sumac) Drizzle with tahini or serve tahini on side. Top with fresh parsley, pomegranate arils and toasted pine nuts.
- Serve this roasted eggplant as a vegan side or as an appetizer/mezze, it's great on top of warm pita or your favorite crusty bread.
- Cook's Tip: If you want the roasted eggplant slices to be crisper and deeper in color, opt for thinner 3/4-inch slices and watch the roasting time. It's important to make sure eggplant is arranged on the baking sheet in one single layer and spaced apart, and don't forget to flip the eggplant over part-way through.
- Leftover Storage: For be storage option, keep the tahini on the side as opposed to drizzling on top of the eggplant. Store roasted eggplant in the fridge in an air-tight container for up to 4 days.
- Variations: You can use the basic recipe here to roast your eggplant and change up the seasonings to your liking. A little bit of oregano for more of a Greek flavor; or try harissa for an exotic Moroccan twist.
- Visit our Online Shop to find our extra virgin olive oils and all-natural spices, including za'atar, sumac, harissa and more!
- Category: Side
- Method: Roasted
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Roasted Eggplant, How to Roast Eggplant, Roasted Eggplant Slices, Oven Roasted Eggplant