A simple roasted eggplant recipe, prepared Mediterranean-style with pomegranates, tahini, fresh parsley, and a sprinkle of za’atar spice!
Eggplant is a favorite Mediterranean ingredient; one of the more frequently used in the Mediterranean Diet.
The roots to this Roasted eggplant recipe are in the Eastern Mediterranean and in particular, Jerusalem. Traditionally, the eggplant is fried until it turns a charred brown. Instead, I opted to roast the eggplant with just a little bit of olive oil. The result is a sweet, creamy roasted eggplant that acts as a vehicle to tahini sauce and a few more ingredients that make the eggplant pop!
This is a simple and versatile roasted eggplant recipe. You can serve it warm or at room temperature as an appetizer, salad, or side dish. My favorite way to eat this roasted eggplant is simply with a piece of warm pita bread. If you’re feeling ambitious, you can bake your own pita bread using this recipe.
Mediterranean Roasted Eggplant Recipe with Pomegranates and Tahini
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 4
- Place the sliced eggplant on a large tray lined with paper towel. Sprinkle with salt. Leave for 30 minutes so that the eggplant will “sweat out” its bitterness.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pat the eggplant slices dry and arrange on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Brush the top of the eggplant slices with olive oil. Bake in the 400 degrees F heated-oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the eggplant turns a nice golden brown.
- Meanwhile, make the tahini sauce according to this recipe.
- When the eggplant is ready, remove from the oven. There should not be too much excess oil, but if you like, you can carefully place the eggplant slices on a try lined with paper towel to drain.
- Arrange the eggplant slices on a serving tray. Sprinkle with za’atar. Spoon some of the tahini sauce on top, and place the rest of it in a small bowl to serve. Finally, top the eggplant slices with the fresh parsley, pomegranate arils, and toasted pine nuts.
- Serve with warm store-bought or homemade pita bread.
More Recipes to Try: