A satisfying vegan stew, straight from my mom’s Egyptian kitchen! Humble peas and carrots, quickly braised in a tasty, aromatic tomato sauce. Best served with a generous drizzle of our quality Private Reserve extra virgin olive oil!
- Private Reserve Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 carrots, chopped or diced small
- 1 lb frozen sweet peas
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sweet Spanish paprika
- 15-oz can tomato sauce
- 2 cups quality vegetable broth
- Fresh parsley for garnish, optional
- jalapeno peppers for garnish, optional
Suggested sides and starters
- Note: If you’re making Lebanese rice, a salad or another dish to serve along, make those first as the stew is quick to cook.
- In a 3-quart dutch oven like this one, heat 2 tbsp Private Reserve extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped onions and cook until translucent, stirring frequently. Add the garlic, carrots, peas, a pinch salt, and spices. Toss to combine. Cook for 5 minutes or so over medium-high heat, until fragrant, stirring regularly.
- Add broth and tomato sauce raise the heat. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes, then turn the heat to medium. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or so. Occasionally, uncover and stir the stew. Taste and adjust seasoning. Peas and carrots should be cooked through and tender, but not mushy. Once you achieve that, it’s ready!
- Transfer the stew to serving bowls. Add a generous drizzle of Private Reserve extra virgin olive oil on top. Garnish with parsley, and a few slices of jalapeno if you like a little heat! Serve with warm pita or your favorite crusty bread. (See suggested starters above)
- Recommended for this Recipe Our Greek Private Reserve Extra Virgin Olive Oil (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives); all-natural and organic ground coriander, and sweet paprika.
- SAVE! Try our Ultimate Mediterranean Spice Bundle or create your own 6-pack or 3-pack of our all-natural or organic spices. VISIT OUR STORE HERE
- Category: Entree/Vegan
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Mediterranean/Egyptian
Keywords: Vegan stew, peas and carrots, Egyptian recipe