One of the easiest and best trout recipes I've tried! Trout fillets, seasoned with a couple of warm spices, and quickly seared in extra virgin olive oil. Serve it with a dollop of Greek tzatziki and a big salad for an easy dinner.
More ideas in the notes, and be sure to see the step-by-step photos and tips in the post.
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp all-natural garlic powder (or 1 to 2 tsp garlic paste)
- 1 1/2 lb trout fillet (or butterflied trout fillet as in the pictures)
- Salt and Pepper
- All-purpose flour for coating (no more than 1/2 cup)
- Extra virgin olive oil (I used Private Reserve Greek EVOO)
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Mix the coriander, paprika, and garlic powder in a small mixing bowl.
- Pat the trout fillet dry. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper on both sides, then season with the spices on both sides.
- Coat the seasoned fish with the flour, shake off any excess flour (you only want a very thin layer).
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat about 3 to 4 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking (see note). Sear the trout fillets for 3 minutes on each side (start with skin-side down, and use a spatula to very carefully flip the fish fillets over).
- Remove the fish from the pan and place it on a tray lined with paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
- Transfer to serving platter and finish with a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
- Cook's Tip for searing: to be sure the oil olive oil is just at the right temperature for cooking before you add the fish, watch the bottom of the pan while it is heating. Once you see wave-like ripples, the oil has reached its desired temperature. If you're still not sure, throw a pinch of flour in the pan and wait for it to bubble a little (don't wait until the oil is bubbling too much or smoking).
- Cook's Tip: you can use frozen fish fillets but they must be properly thawed in the fridge before using. If trout is not available to you, a thin fish fillet such as sole fillet will work in this recipe.
- What to Serve Along? Salads: Shirazi salad, chickpea salad, or Mediterranean couscous salad. Sides: crispy brussels sprouts, loaded baked potato, or roasted cauliflower
- Visit our online shop to browse Mediterranean ingredients including spices and olive oil used in this recipe.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 6 mins
- Category: Fish and Seafood
- Method: Seared
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Trout recipe, how to cook trout, trout fillet recipe