A healthier, loaded baked potato recipe prepared Mediterranean-style! Recipe comes with tips for ensuring a perfect baked potato–crispy on the outside, fluffy and creamy on the inside!
The humble potato is a staple ingredient in most pantries. I always have some potatoes on hand; and when all else fails, I know I can count on an easy loaded baked potato dinner.
Admittedly, the whole concept of a loaded baked potato bar is somewhat new to me. It is something I first learned–and fell in love with– during my college years in Michigan.
I have since adapted the loaded baked potato to my Mediterranean pantry– with the addition of olive oil and oregano, and toppings like Greek Tzatziki sauce, tomatoes, olives, parsley and feta.
Tips for a perfect loaded baked potato:
- To achieve perfectly crisp skin, oil the skin lightly with olive oil and season with salt.
- For a creamy flesh, bake the potatoes in a moderately heated oven . In this baked potato recipe, I set my oven to 375 degrees F and baked the potatoes for 1 whole hour.
- Go the extra mile to ensure the potato flesh is fluffy and well-seasoned. As you’ll see in the recipe below, once the potatoes are cool enough to handle, scoop the flesh out into a bowl, add a little olive oil and season. Then, scoop the potato flesh back and fill up the skins.
Now all that’s needed is to load that creamy baked potato up with favorite Mediterranean toppings!Print
BEST loaded baked potato, Mediterranean style! Crispy skin, creamy on the inside! Packed w/ flavor & toppings like Tzatziki sauce, olives, tomatoes and more
- 4 large russet potatoes
- Olive oil
- 1–2 tsp dried oregano
For the Toppings
- 1 Homemade Greek Tzatziki Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley flakes
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted Greek olives
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Wash and scrub the potatoes clean. Dry completely.
- Rub the potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, and prick them in several places with the tines of a fork. Arrange the potatoes on a baking sheet, and bake for 1 hour or until a fork can easily be inserted into the center of each potato. Remove from the oven.
- While the potatoes are baking, make the Tzatziki sauce according to this recipe, and prepare the remaining toppings.
- When the potatoes are ready, remove from the oven and set aside to rest for 5 minutes. Slice each open wide, and scoop the potato flesh out into a bowl. Add 1 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper, and dried oregano. Mash with a fork.
- Now, scoop the mashed potatoes back into the skins. Using your hands, reshape the potatoes if needed, then top with the Tzatziki sauce and the remaining Mediterranean toppings to your liking. Enjoy!
- Category: Sides
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Baked potato recipe, Mediterranean baked potato
More Recipes to Try: