- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1 tsp salt, more for later
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 1/2 lb whole Spanish Mackerel, cleaned and gutted (but with head)
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- Early Harvest extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Optional Sides to Serve
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and set a roasting sheet pan inside to warm.
- Using a mortar and pestle, crush garlic with salt until smooth. Add coriander and cumin and continue crushing. Mix in parsley and dill.
- Pat the fish dry, inside and out. Remove the dark vein that runs along the back of the cavity, if it’s still there. And if needed, run your knife along the cavity to open it up some more. Salt generously inside and on both sides outside, then place on a lightly oiled piece of foil that is large enough to enclose the fish.
- Stuff the fish cavity with lemon slices and the garlic and herb mixture you just prepared. Drizzle generously with olive oil.
- Fold the foil over the fish lengthwise, tightly closing the top seam to trap the steam. Place the foiled fish on top of the hot sheet pan and bake in the 350 degrees F heated-oven for 30-40 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish.
- Remove from heat and add the lemon juice. Serve immediately with suggested sides and salads (see ingredient list).
- If you plan to serve this fish with Lebanese rice, cook the rice first before you work on the fish and set aside covered and undistributed until ready to serve. It’s a good idea to do as much of the prep for sides and salads as possible before you place the fish in the oven.
- Recommended for this Recipe Our Early Harvest Extra Virgin Olive Oil; organic coriander; organic cumin.
- SAVE! Try our Ultimate Mediterranean Spice Bundle, or create your own 6-pack or 3-pack of our all-natural and organic spices!