A Mediterranean diet breakfast is every bit as wholsome and satisfying as it is delicious. My favorite way to serve a crowd is this Mediterranean brunch board showcasing savory, nutrition-packed favorites like falafel, hummus, baba ganoush and tabouli. Many of these items can be prepared ahead and easily assembled when you need them (see recipe notes.) Be sure to read the full post for more breakfast ideas!
- 1 Falafel Recipe
- 1 Classic Hummus Recipe (or roasted garlic hummus, roasted red pepper hummus)
- 1 Baba Ganoush Recipe
- Feta cheese or 1 Labneh Recipe
- 1 Tabouli Recipe
- 1 to 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 English cucumber, sliced
- 6 to 7 Radish, halved or sliced
- Assorted olives (I like a mix of green olives and kalamata olives)
- Marinated artichokes or mushrooms
- Early Harvest EVOO and Za'atar to dip
- Pita Bread, sliced into quarters
- Grapes (palette cleanser)
- Fresh herbs for garnish
Note: Plan to make most of these ahead of time for quick and easy assembly. See notes.
- Make the falafel according to this recipe. You will need to begin at least the night before to soak the chickpeas. See notes below for working ahead. (You may also buy falafel at a local Middle Eastern store.)
- Make the hummus according to this recipe, and Baba ganoush according to this recipe. You can prepare both of these the night before and store in the fridge. If you like, try roasted garlic hummus or roasted red pepper hummus to change things up. (If you don't have the time, use quality store-bought hummus.)
- Slice feta cheese, or prepare Labneh ahead of time according to this recipe.
- Make tabouli according to this recipe. Can be made a couple days in advance and refrigerated in tight-lid glass containers.
- To assemble the Mediterranean breakfast board, place the hummus, baba ganoush, olive oil, za'atar, tabouli in bowls. Place the largest bowl in the center of a large wooden board or platter to create a focal point. Arrange the remaining bowls on different parts of the board or platter to create movement and shape. Use the gaps between the bowls to place the remaining ingredients like falafel, sliced vegetables, and pita bread. Add grapes and garnish with fresh herbs, if you like.
- Pro tip: If you plan to make most of this from scratch begin a couple nights in advance. Falafel will take the most effort to prepare (unless you're buying ready-made falafel from a local Middle Eastern store.) But you can easily make the falafel patties and freeze them way in advance if you like, then proceed to fry or bake them (from frozen) before assembling the breakfast board. Review full falafel tutorial and recipe notes here.
- Pro tip: hummus, baba gannoush, and tabouli can also be prepared a night or two in advance. Store in the fridge in tight-lid glass containers.
- Pro tip: visit your local grocery store's deli section (many even have olive bars) to find assorted olives and marinated items. You can use marinated artichokes, mushrooms, roasted red peppers...etc.
- Pro tip: If you want to add a large egg dish next to this board to complete your brunch party, consider shakshuka, spinach frittata, or this Mediterranean egg casserole.
- Recommended for this recipe: Early Harvest extra virgin olive oil (from organically grown and processed Koroeniki olives) and all-natural za'atar for dipping.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Mediterranean breakfast, Mediterranean diet breakfast, Mediterranean brunch