Italian-inspired skillet chicken. Simple chicken breast recipe cooked in white wine with tomatoes and mushrooms! Ready in 30 mins or less!
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are a staple item in most households. When prepared into thinner, 1/4-inch cutlets, they are even easier to cook.
The ways that you can dress up chicken breasts are endless. Today’s is a light Italian-style skillet chicken recipe with tomatoes and mushrooms.
Watch how to make this Italian Skillet Chicken
My main goal with this skillet chicken recipe was to keep the chicken cutlets from drying out. First, I browned the chicken quickly in a little olive oil. Then, to finish cooking, I added the chicken back into the skillet with a white wine-based sauce and sauteed mushrooms, tomatoes, and garlic! At the very end, I tossed in a handful of baby spinach.
In less than 30 minutes, the Italian-inspired skillet chicken dinner was ready! Serve it atop your favorite small pasta like orzo or even pearl couscous. Hearty Italian bread is always a plus!
Italian Skillet Chicken with Tomatoes and Mushrooms
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 4 large chicken cutlets (boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1/4-inch thin cutlets)
- 1 tbsp dried oregano, divided
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp black pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, more for later
- Olive oil
- 8 oz Baby Bella mushrooms, cleaned, trimmed, and sliced
- 14 oz grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh garlic
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (juice of 1/2 lemon)
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- Handful baby spinach (optional)
- Pat chicken cutlets dry. Season on both sides with 1/2 tbsp dried oregano, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Coat the chicken cutlets with the flour; dust off excess. Set aside briefly.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large cast iron skillet with a lid like this one. Brown the chicken cutlets on both sides (3 minutes or so). Transfer the chicken cutlets to a plate for now.
- In the same skillet, add more olive oil if needed. Add the mushrooms and saute briefly on medium-high (about 1 minute or so). Then add the tomatoes, garlic, the remaining 1/2 tbsp oregano, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper, and 2 tsp flour. Cook for another 3 minutes or so, stirring regularly.
- Now add the white wine, cook briefly to reduce just a little; then add the lemon juice and chicken broth.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, then add the chicken back in the skillet. Cook over high heat for 3-4 minutes, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and cook for another 8 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked and its internal heat registers a minimum of 165 degrees F.
- If you like, stir in a handful of baby spinach just before serving. Enjoy hot with your favorite small pasta like orzo and a crusty Italian bread!
More Chicken Recipes to Try: