Italian-inspired skillet chicken. Simple chicken breast recipe cooked in white wine with tomatoes and mushrooms! Ready in 30 mins or less!
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are a staple item in most households. When prepared into thinner, 1/4-inch cutlets, they are even easier to cook.
The ways that you can dress up chicken breasts are endless. Today’s is a light Italian-style skillet chicken recipe with tomatoes and mushrooms.
My main goal with this skillet chicken recipe was to keep the chicken cutlets from drying out. First, I browned the chicken quickly in a little olive oil. Then, to finish cooking, I added the chicken back into the skillet with a white wine-based sauce and sauteed mushrooms, tomatoes, and garlic! At the very end, I tossed in a handful of baby spinach.
In less than 30 minutes, the Italian-inspired skillet chicken dinner was ready! Serve it atop your favorite small pasta like orzo or even pearl couscous. Hearty Italian bread is always a plus!Print
Italian Skillet Chicken with Tomatoes and Mushrooms
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 4 large chicken cutlets (boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1/4-inch thin cutlets)
- 1 tbsp dried oregano, divided
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp black pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, more for later
- Olive oil
- 8 oz Baby Bella mushrooms, cleaned, trimmed, and sliced
- 14 oz grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh garlic
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (juice of 1/2 lemon)
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- Handful baby spinach (optional)
- Pat chicken cutlets dry. Season on both sides with 1/2 tbsp dried oregano, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Coat the chicken cutlets with the flour; dust off excess. Set aside briefly.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large cast iron skillet with a lid like this one. Brown the chicken cutlets on both sides (3 minutes or so). Transfer the chicken cutlets to a plate for now.
- In the same skillet, add more olive oil if needed. Add the mushrooms and saute briefly on medium-high (about 1 minute or so). Then add the tomatoes, garlic, the remaining 1/2 tbsp oregano, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper, and 2 tsp flour. Cook for another 3 minutes or so, stirring regularly.
- Now add the white wine, cook briefly to reduce just a little; then add the lemon juice and chicken broth.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, then add the chicken back in the skillet. Cook over high heat for 3-4 minutes, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and cook for another 8 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked and its internal heat registers a minimum of 165 degrees F.
- If you like, stir in a handful of baby spinach just before serving. Enjoy hot with your favorite small pasta like orzo and a crusty Italian bread!
More Chicken Recipes to Try: