This hearty, easy meatball soup combines Italian-style meatballs, chopped veggies and pasta, all simmered in a rich tomato broth. Add a side of your favorite salad, and you've got dinner!
- 1 ½ lb lean ground beef (or ground chicken or ground turkey)
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 raw egg, whisked
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 tsp dry oregano
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ to 1 cup fresh chopped parsley
- Extra virgin olive oil (I used Private Reserve EVOO)
For the Soup
- Extra virgin olive oil (Private Reserve EVOO)
- 1 small onion, chopped (about ½ cup)
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, peeled and chopped
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 to 6 cups broth (vegetable or beef broth)
- 1 28-oz can peeled tomatoes with juices
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- ½ tsp paprika
- Salt and pepper
- ¾ cup dry small pasta like ditalini or small shells
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Place the meatball ingredients in one large mixing bowl. Drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil. Mix until the meat mixture is well incorporated.
- Form the mixture into meatballs about 1 ½ tbsp each (whatever size you choose, stick to it). Arrange the meatballs on a large, lightly oiled sheet pan and broil for 5 to 8 minutes until browned (they will cook some more in the soup).
- In a large pot, heat about 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots, celery, bell peppers, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add broth and tomatoes. Season with oregano, paprika, salt and pepper. Cook over mediu/medium-high heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the meatballs and pasta. Cook for 10 minutes or until pasta is cooked.
- Remove from heat and stir in parsley. Transfer to serving bowls, and if you like sprinkle a bit more grated Parmesan cheese. If you like heat, add some crushed pepper flakes. Enjoy!
- Leftovers and storage: You can store leftover meatball soup in the fridge for 3 days or so in a tight-lid glass container. Be sure the soup has completely cooled before you store in the fridge. Warm over medium heat, adding a little bit more liquid if needed.
- Can you freeze this meatball soup? If you're making this as meal prep to freeze for a later time, do not add the pasta, instead make the recipe as stated without the pasta. Cool completely and portion in freezer-safe containers, leaving enough room at the top of each container, to freeze. Thaw in the fridge overnight. Warm over medium heat. Cook the pasta separately and add to the soup.
- Visit our online shop to browse quality Mediterranean products including extra virgin olive oils and spices.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Meatball Soup, Italian Meatball Soup