Cannoli Recipe Recipe Type : Dessert Cuisine: Italian Author: The Mediterranean Dish Prep time: 25 mins Cook time: 10 mins Total time: 35 mins Serves: 24 pieces
A foolproof cannoli recipe (shells and filling). Seriously dreamy, perfectly crisp shells filled with a ricotta and chocolate mixture. See the step-by-step tutorial with photos below the recipe!
For the Pastry
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, more as needed
- pinch salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 4–5 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tbsp Marsala wine
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten mixed with 1 tbsp of water to make egg wash
- Oil for frying
- Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
For the filling
- 2 oz dark chocolate, grated, more for dusting
- 12 oz ricotta cheese (I used fat-free ricotta cheese)
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 oz chopped candied fruit (I used candied orange slices)
- To prepare the pastry: sift the flour, salt, and sugar into a large mixing bowl. Using your hand, rub in the butter until you have a coarse mixture. Mix in the egg and Marsala wine. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead by hand until you have a smooth dough. (If the dough is too sticky, add a little bit of flour at a time and continue to knead until you are able to form a smooth ball.) Place the dough back in the bowl and refrigerate while you make the filling.
- For the filling: In a mixing bowl, combine the grated chocolate, fat-free ricotta cheese, milk, confectioners’ sugar and the candied fruit. Mix with a hand mixer or fork until all is well combined. Set aside for now.
- Take the pastry dough out of the fridge. On a clean, lightly-floured work surface, roll the pastry dough out until very thin (like 1/8′ thin). Using a 3-inch round cookie cutter or a drinking glass, cut the dough into rounds. You should have between 18 and 24 rounds.
- Dust 6 cannoli molds with flour and wrap each pastry circle loosely around a cannoli mold. Dampen the edges of the dough with the egg wash and press to seal the edges shut in the middle (make sure you press hard enough using a little of the egg wash so that the dough will not open when it’s fried).
- Fill a small cooking pot with oil about 1/3 of the way. Heat the oil to 350 degrees F. Deep fry until the cannoli pastry shells turn golden and crisp (this will be quick). Using tongs or large slotted spoon, remove from the oil and place on a plate lined with paper towel. When pastry shells are cool enough to handle, twist the cannoli forms to release the shells.
- Using the cannoli molds, repeat the process until you have fried all the cannoli.
- When the cannoli shells are cold, pipe or spoon the filling into them. Dust with a generous amount of confectioner’s sugar and a bit of the grated dark chocolate. Enjoy!
- Visit our store to browse our spices, olive oils and bundles!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Mediterranean/Italian
Keywords: Cannoli, Italian Dessert, Dessert, Ricotta