It takes less than 20 minutes to make this simple, lightened up sausage and peppers recipe! Chicken sausage, colorful peppers, onions and juicy grape tomatoes with extra virgin olive oil, fresh thyme, and oregano. A family favorite!
Watch the video below to see how I make it!
Baked Sausage and Peppers
Italian sausage, peppers and onions is a classic combination everyone loves.
This quick, healthier sheet pan option, using chicken sausage and packed with sweet peppers, red onions, and cherry tomatoes will not disappoint.
I was going for a Mediterranean diet friendly option and, it turns out, this is also a low-carb/keto friendly dinner, if that’s something you’re looking for.
A quick seasoning with fresh garlic, Italian herbs like thyme and dried oregano with a little drizzle of extra virgin olive oil adds all the flavor.
Once arranged on the sheet pan, the sausage, peppers, and onions will broil for a brief 8 minutes or so. That’s it!
I love how hands-off this sheet pan chicken and sausage recipe is! Easy prep. Easy clean up. And less than 20 minutes start-to-finish.
Ingredients & Prep
- Chicken Sausage- I used 6 fully cooked (or precooked) chicken sausage links. If you’re partial to mild Italian sausage recipes or hot Italian sausage recipes, choose your favorite sausage here. Just remember it needs to be the package needs to indicate that it is fully cooked or precooked)
- Peppers- sweet bell peppers, 1 green and 1 red, cored and thinly sliced into strips.
- Onion- 1 large red onion. Cut the onion in half, then thinly slice each half. You should end up with “half moons.”
- Tomatoes- 1 pound of grape or cherry tomatoes. No heavy sauces involved here, these little tomatoes will soften in the oven, adding a little juice in every bite.
- Garlic- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Herbs & Spices- clearly going for Italian flavors, 1 tablespoon dry oregano, a few springs of fresh thyme, and just a hint of sweet paprika for depth. In addition, a good pinch of kosher salt and black pepper to season.
- Extra virgin olive oil– a good drizzle to toss and coat the veggies with all the herbs and flavors before baking (or rather broiling)
How to make sausage and peppers in the oven
Time needed: 18 minutes.
Chicken sausage and peppers recipe, step-by-step (print-friendly recipe below)
- Prepare oven & score the sausage
Set the oven to the broil function (this will be a quick one). Adjust a rack to about 6 inches below the heat source.
Using a small knife, score the chicken sausage (fully cooked sausage), making a few slits in different places. Remember, do not cut all the way through
- Season the veggies
Put the sliced bell peppers (1 green and 1 red), sliced red onion, and 1 pound of cherry or grape tomatoes in a large mixing bowl. Add minced garlic, 1 tablespoon dry oregano, a few springs of fresh thyme, and a little bit of sweet paprika (about 1/2 teaspoon). Season with a good pinch of kosher salt and black pepper.
Add a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and toss to make sure the veggies are well coated.
- Arrange veggies and sausage on a sheet pan
Transfer the veggies to a large sheet pan and make sure to spread them out in one layer, then add the sausage links in between the veggies.
- Broil & Serve
Put the sheet pan on the top oven rack about 6 inches away from the heat source. Let it broil for about 8 to 10 minutes watching closely for the peppers and onions to soften and the sausage to gain good color (Remember the chicken sausage was already fully cooked).
So many ways to serve Italian sausage and peppers!
To me, this simple Italian sausage, peppers and onions recipe can stand on its own as a wonderful low-carb dinner. But if you’re looking for different fun ways to stretch it out, here are a few:
- Sausage and peppers sandwich night. Most people serve sausage, peppers and onions hoagies, which makes a fun and casual meal. I like to use a good crusty Italian bread. If you want, add bits of fresh mozzarella cheese and heat up the hoagies a bit so the cheese melts.
- Italian sausage and peppers pasta. This is a good way to serve more people. Make a bit of pasta with homemade spaghetti sauce or your favorite store-bought sauce to go along
- Serve it with cauliflower rice. This option is not what you’d expect, but if you want to keep this sheet pan dinner still low carb, cauliflower rice is a good option. You can just go with plain cauliflower rice from the freezer section (follow package instructions to cook). Even more odd but it actually works for me, add this cauliflower salad as a side, if you’re looking for something fresh and different.
Watch the video for this recipe
More sheet pan recipes to try
- Sheet pan chicken and vegetables
- Sheet pan baked eggs
- Sheet pan paprika chicken
- Baked halibut and veggies
It takes less than 20 minutes to make this simple, lightened up sausage and peppers recipe! Chicken sausage, colorful peppers, onions and juicy grape tomatoes with extra virgin olive oil, fresh thyme and oregano, all on one sheet pan. A family favorite!
- 1 lb fully cooked chicken sausage links (mild or spicy)
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored and cut into thin strips
- 1 large green pepper, cored and cut into thin strips
- 1 red onion, halved then sliced (half moons)
- 1 lb grape or cherry tomatoes
- 3 Garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- Few springs fresh thyme (about 1/8-oz)
- 1 tbsp Dry oregano
- ½ tsp Sweet paprika
- Kosher salt (I use Diamond Crystal)
- Black Pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Set your oven to the broil function and arrange a rack about 6 inches or so from the heat source.
- Score the sausage links in several places but do not cut all the way through.
- Place the bell peppers, onions, and tomatoes in a mixing bowl. Add garlic, fresh thyme, oregano, paprika, a large pinch of kosher salt and black pepper. Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil (a generous drizzle of 3 to 4 tbsp or enough to coat the veggies well), and toss to make sure the vegetables are well-coated.
- Arrange the vegetables in one layer on a large baking sheet. Add the sausage, nestling the sausage links between the spread veggies.
- Slide the baking sheet under the broiler for 8 to 10 minutes (watching carefully) until the veggies have softened and the sausage is looking nicely charred.
- Leftovers: Allow sausage and peppers to fully cool. Store in the fridge in a tight-lid container for 3 days or so. Warm up in a skillet over medium heat.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Sausage and peppers, Sheet pan sausage and peppers, baked sausage and peppers