Easy stuffed peppers for breakfast, brunch or dinner! Prepared Mediterranean-style and stuffed with a flavor-packed, vegetarian and gluten-free potato hash, then topped with the perfect egg. (Recipe comes with prepare-ahead instructions.)
Master the art of stuffed veggies, and you’ve claimed a place in the Mediterranean kitchen. From stuffed cabbage rolls; to stuffed koussa (zucchini); and my earlier Mediterranean stuffed peppers with rice and ground beef…We love using our stuffed veggies!
Non of the above-mentioned stuffed beauties will disappoint. And you should totally try them at some point. But if this is your first rodeo so-to-speak, try your hand at these easy breakfast stuffed peppers.
Why this Easy Stuffed Peppers Recipe works
Here, colorful bell peppers make the perfect vessel for a quick vegetarian potato hash, cooked in EVOO and seasoned with favorite Mediterranean spices. In my book, you can’t go wrong with an earthy, warm mixture of aleppo, cumin, coriander and turmeric!
Topping each stuffed pepper, an egg. Bake briefly and watch for the egg to soft-set. That melty egg yoke, once you cut through it, and it runs atop the layers of potato hash and the pepper shell…absolute perfection.
If you like, you can prepare the peppers and cook the potato hash/stuffing the night before you plan to serve. Store each separately in the fridge tightly-closed containers. The next morning, stuff the peppers with the potato hash and add the egg on top, then bake as instructed.Print
Easy stuffed peppers for breakfast, brunch or dinner. Prepared Mediterranean-style and filled with a flavor-packed, vegetarian, gluten-free potato hash. Then topped with the perfect egg. See our prepare-ahead instructions.
- 3 bell peppers, any color, halved length-wise and cored
- Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil
- 6 oz mushrooms, any kind, sliced or chopped
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1o to 12 oz gold potatoes, peeled and diced small
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 tsp all-natural Aleppo pepper
- 3/4 tsp organic coriander
- 3/4 tsp organic cumin
- 1/2 tsp organic turmeric
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped or sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup packed chopped fresh parsley
- 6 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Arrange pepper halves in a baking dish or cast iron skillet. Add 1 cup water to the bottom of dish or skillet. Cover with foil and bake in heated oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the potato hash stuffing. Begin by heating a 12-inch cast iron skillet over high heat. Add mushrooms, cook tossing regularly until nicely browned. Season with salt. Remove from skillet.
- Turn heat to medium-high. To the skillet, add 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil. When oil is shimmering but not smoking (which will be quick), add onions and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper and the spices. Cook, stirring regularly for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, and continue to cook over medium-high heat, stirring regularly, until potatoes are tender, another 5 to 7 minutes or so.
- Now, add the cooked mushrooms, tomato, and parsley to the potatoes. Stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- Remove pepper halves from oven (do not drain water.) Stuff each with the potato stuffing about 3/4 of the way. Now, carefully crack one egg into each pepper over the potato stuffing.
- Cover with aluminium foil (make sure to tent the foil so it does not stick to the egg yokes.) Bake in heated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the eggs are soft set (longer if you like the eggs more cooked.) Serve immediately!
- Prepare ahead instructions You can prepare the peppers (step #2) and cook the potato hash/stuffing (steps #3 to #5) the night before you plan to serve. Store each separately in the fridge tightly-closed containers. The next morning, stuff the peppers with the potato hash and add the egg on top, then bake as instructed. (don’t forget to add 1 cup water to the baking dish.)
- Recommended for this Recipe Our Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives.) And from our spice collections: all-natural Aleppo pepper; organic cumin; organic coriander; organic turmeric.
- SAVE! Try our Greek Olive Oil Bundle or our Ultimate Mediterranean Spice Bundle. Or, create your own 6-pack or 3-pack of spices from our all-natural or organic spice collections!
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Easy stuffed pepper recipe, Mediterranean breakfast recipe