This open faced sandwich is a simple breakfast toast with the flavors of Italy! So easy to prepare, and every bit as satisfying!
It’s been a while since we posted a breakfast recipe here on The Mediterranean Dish. And I don’t know if we can qualify this sandwich as a “recipe.” It’s more of a collection of my favorite things layered on a piece of hearty Italian bread. And certainly not a boring breakfast!
This open faced sandwich, or breakfast toast, takes inspiration from Italy. We’re talking: Ricotta cheese whipped with olive oil. Fresh tomato, radish, and basil. Quality Prosciutto, or your favorite Italian cured meat. Roasted red peppers.
To complete our breakfast, I added perfectly poached eggs and a garnish of crushed pistachios.
Where the draw lies here is in the simplicity and versatility of this open faced sandwich. You can certainly incorporate other garden vegetables or herbs you might already have on hand. Use a different cheese. Or switch up the meat. The possibilities are endless; and this open faced sandwich serves just as an idea to help you devise your own. Enjoy!Print
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano, more for later
- Salt and pepper
- 4 slices hearty Italian bread, toasted
- 4-8 fresh basil leaves
- 1 Roma tomato, sliced
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp roasted red pepper in oil, drained
- 4 Prosciutto slices (or your favorite Italian cured meat)
- 4 poached eggs
- 1 tbsp crushed shelled pistachios
- Place the ricotta cheese in a small mixing bowl. Add the olive oil, dried oregano, salt and pepper. Whip with a fork.
- Spread the whipped ricotta cheese on the toasted Italian bread. Top with the remaining ingredients in the order listed (the poached eggs and a garnish of shelled pistachios are added at the very end). Enjoy!
Poached eggs are a great choice for this open faced sandwich recipe.Here is a video on how to poach an egg
You can also prepare your eggs sunny side up, if you prefer.
- Serving Size: 4
More Recipes to Try: