Fattoush Salad makes a frequent appearance on the Middle Eastern dinner table. A simple chopped salad dressed in a zesty lime vinaigrette. Homemade pita chips serve as croutons! See the video and step-by-step for how to make fattoush below.
- 2 loaves pita bread
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 2 tsp sumac, divided, more as needed
- 1 heart of Romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 English cucumber, cut in half, seeds scraped, then chopped or sliced into half moons
- 5 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 5 green onions (both white and green parts), chopped
- 5 radishes, stems removed, thinly sliced
- 2 cups chopped fresh parsley leaves, stems removed
- 1 cup chopped fresh mint leaves (optional)
- Break the pita bread into small bite-size pieces. Heat 3 tbsp of olive oil in a large pan until shimmering, and add the pita bread. Fry briefly until browned, tossing frequently. Using a pair of tongs, transfer the fried pita chips to a plate lined with paper towel to drain. Season with salt, pepper and sumac.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chopped lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, green onions with the sliced radish and parsley.
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together the lemon or lime juice, olive oil, pomegranate molasses (if using), salt, pepper and spices.
- Pour toss lightly. Finally, add the pita chips, and more sumac if you like, and toss one more time. Transfer to small serving bowls or plates. Enjoy!
- Variations: fattoush salad dressing often includes pomegranate molasses. If that's available to you, add 1 to 2 teaspoons to the dressing, it really does make it extra special. For the salad, you can also add more herbs or other greens such as arugula (not traditional to fattoush but wonderful!)
- To bake the pita chips instead, follow baking instructions in my homemade pita chip recipe and season with kosher salt and sumac when ready.
- Recommended for This Recipe: quality extra virgin olive oil; all-natural sumac spice; all-natural allspice.
- SAVE! Try our Exotic 4-pack of spices or our Everyday Olive Oil Bundle!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Category: Salad
- Method: Counter Top
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Keywords: Fattoush Salad