Looking for a quick no-cook dinner? Or maybe for your next potluck dish? This no-mayonnaise healthy chicken salad recipe will do the trick! Super chunky and loaded with Mediterranean favorites like shallots, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, plump golden raisins, fresh herbs, and a handful of walnuts! A light and zippy dressing brings it all together!
I’ll be the first to admit that a rotisserie chicken dinner is a lifesaver for busy moms.
As we occasionally do rotisserie chicken night around here, we often end up with leftovers. And overtime, I’ve gotten creative with giving those leftovers a new life, tucked into breakfast egg muffins, or simply assembled as part of a huge supper salad like this one.
Lately, I’ll buy a rotisserie chicken just to make this healthy chicken salad, loaded with Mediterranean favorites.
Healthy Chicken Salad, Mediterranean style
Of course the main idea of this chicken salad recipe is that it’s another no-cook, super quick dinner. You basically dump everything in a bowl and give it a mix, that’s how easy!
But more than that, this healthy chicken salad has a Mediterranean twist I love. It’s a decidedly chunky chicken salad loaded with favorites like: shallots, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, and fresh parsley. Oh, but don’t forget the plump golden raisins, a special Sicilian twist that provides a hint of sweetness and just the right balance. And I love to use chopped walnuts or toasted pine nuts for extra crunch.
Bringing this chicken salad together though is a lighter, zippy dressing with quality extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, and Dijon mustard. Yup, this is a no-mayonnaise chicken salad, and every bit as scrumptious!
How to Serve It
For our little family of four, this chicken salad is plenty for a lighter dinner. But it’s the perfect potluck dish to bring and share with a larger group. Toasted slices of crusty bread make the perfect carriers for this chicken salad. And for a fun, low-carb twist, use lettuce leaves as warps for this chicken salad.
A Couple Tips for this Chicken Salad Recipe
1-Make this chicken salad about 30 minutes or so before serving, cover and refrigerate to let flavors meld.
2- You do not have to use rotisserie chicken. You can make this using 2 to 3 cooked, boneless chicken breast halves (depending on size.)
2-Store leftovers in tight lid containers in the fridge. If stored properly, leftovers should be good for 2 nights or so (taste before serving.)
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! JOIN MY FREE E-MAIL LIST HERE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPES, WEEKLY MEDITERRANEAN DINNER PLANS, AND MY FREE E-COOKBOOK WITH 15 HEALTHY RECIPES TO TRY!
SHOP OUR ONLINE STORE FOR QUALITY OLIVE OILS, ALL-NATURAL SPICES AND MORE.Print
This no-mayonnaise healthy chicken salad recipe is a great no-cook dinner and also as a potluck dish to share! Super chunky and loaded with Mediterranean favorites like shallots, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, plump golden raisins, fresh herbs, and a handful of walnuts! A light and zippy dressing brings it all together!
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (I used Greek Early Harvest)
- Zest and juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 tsp/ 5ml white wine vinegar
- 2 1/2 tsp/12.97 g Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp/ 2.6 g Sumac spice
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- Salt and Pepper
For Chicken Salad
- 1/2 cup/ 75 g golden raisins (Sultanas)
- 3 to 4 cups/375 to 500 g shredded cooked (or rotisserie) chicken breast, skinless and boneless
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/3 cup/ 56 g chopped marinated artichoke hearts
- 1/4 cup/ 13.75 g sun dried tomatoes (I used these)
- 1/2 cup/15 g chopped Italian parsley (flat leaf parsley)
- 1/3 cup/ 40 g shelled chopped walnuts or toasted pine nuts
- 5 to 7 roasted garlic cloves, chopped (optional. see recipe notes)
- Your favorite crusty bread or lettuce leaves to act as wraps
- Place golden raisins in a small bowl and submerge in boiling water for about 15 minutes to rehydrate and plump up. Drain well and pat dry with a napkin. (This is an optional step, but makes a difference in taste.)
- Make the dressing. In a bowl, or mason jar, add the extra virgin olive oil, lemon zest and lemon juice, white wine vinegar, and Dijon mustard. Season with sumac, sweet paprika and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk together (or close mason jar and shake well) until combined.
- Transfer the plump raisins to a large bowl. Add the remaining chicken salad ingredients: chicken, shallots, celery, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, parsley and walnuts (or pine nuts). If using, add chopped roasted garlic. Using a spoon, give the chicken salad a toss to combine ingredients.
- Pour dressing over the chicken salad. Toss again with spoon until well combined. Set aside briefly to allow flavors to meld. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve with toasted slices of your favorite bread or wrapped in lettuce leaves. Enjoy!
- Cook’s Tip: This chicken salad is best if made about about half hour or so before serving to allow flavors to meld. Cover and refrigerate.
- Cook’s Tip: I often use rotisserie chicken, but you can use cooked chicken breasts (about 2 to 3 boneless and skinless chicken breast halves, depending on size.)
- Cook’s Tip: If you’re serving this chicken salad for dinner, it will definitely feed 4 people. But, it’s the perfect potluck dish to share with a larger crowd.
- Roasted Garlic Option: roasted garlic is an option here, you do not have to add it. But if you choose to, it will add great earthy flavor with a hint of sweetness that compliments the raisins very well. You can use store-bought roasted garlic, or make your own at home. Roasted garlic can be made ahead and stored for use; see this tutorial.
- Leftover Storage Instructions: Store leftover chicken salad in tight lid containers in the fridge. If stored properly, leftovers should be good for 2 nights or so (taste before serving.)
- Visit The Mediterranean Dish online store for all-natural and organic spices and quality extra virgin olive oils and more!
- Category: Entree/Salad
- Method: Mixed
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: chicken salad, healthy chicken salad, chicken salad with no mayonnaise, Mediterranean chicken salad