Need an omelet for one? This easy mug omelet recipe with veggies is your ticket! Fluffy and delicious eggs that are cooked in just over 1 minute.
I recently tried cooking eggs in the microwave, inspired by Elise Bower over at Simply Recipes. To my surprise, they turned out great--extra fluffy too!
To be clear, if I'm making eggs for the whole family, I would not do use the microwave because it would not make sense to make an egg casserole or a vegetable frittata to feed a crowd in the microwave. But, if you need a quick omelet for one, this recipe for veggie mug omelet may come in handy.
How to make an mug omelet in the microwave
It will take you less than 5 minutes to make a mug omelet using any veggies you have on hand--I just threw in bits of bell peppers, a little parsley, and a couple spinach leaves that I saved aside when I was prepping another recipe. Here is how to make this mug omelet:
- To start, make sure you have a large microwave-safe mug, and go ahead and brush it with some olive oil, that way your eggs won't stick. (For me, I like having a very little bit of good olive oil also whisked with the eggs to help them remain moist and delicious).
- Crack the eggs in the prepared mug and whisk them with a pinch of kosher salt and black pepper or other seasoning of your choice (I added Aleppo pepper). Throw in about 2 to 3 tablespoons of finely chopped veggies, making sure to mix them well in the egg mixture.
- To microwave your eggs, I recommend going for 30 seconds at a time, and pausing to stir the mixture as needed. If you do end up covering your eggs, be sure to allow a little opening for them to vent.
How long to cook your eggs in the microwave?
My mug omelet took a total of 1 minute and 20 seconds in the microwave on high. However, microwaves do vary, so that is why I recommend cooking your eggs in 20 to 30-second intervals, pausing to stir the egg mixture as needed.
Other egg recipes to try
Browse all Mediterranean recipes
Easy Mug Omelet in the Microwave
- Prepare a large microwave safe mug or bowl and brush it generously with olive oil (or oil of your choice). (It's okay if there is a little olive oil in the bottom of the mug, it will make the eggs more moist and delicious)
- Crack the eggs and add them to the mug. Season with kosher salt, black pepper and Aleppo or other seasonings if using. Beat the eggs with a fork or small whisk.
- Add the bell peppers, parsley, spinach, and feta. Mix again with your fork to make sure everything is well combined.
- Microwave on high for up to 1 minutes and 30 seconds, stirring occasionally. It's a good idea to check on your eggs every few seconds (I cooked mine for 20 to 30 seconds at a time, it took about 1 minute and 20 seconds in total). Let stand in the closed microwave briefly before you serve.
- This recipe makes one individual mug omelet with 2 eggs. If you use only one egg or egg whites only, you may have to adjust cooking time. Begin with 30 seconds at a time and stir, then add more time as needed.
- Variations: use other veggies you may have on hand--zucchini, broccoli, mushrooms, carrots-- as long as you chop them very small, they should be fine. You can also throw in some chopped up ham or other already cooked meat. Cooking time will vary depending on how much you add to your omelet.
- Microwaves do vary, adjust cooking time as needed. You may like to partially cover the mug, but be sure to allow a little opening for the eggs to vent.
- Follow your microwave's safety precautions. Allow the cooked eggs to sit in the closed microwave briefly before you reach for them. Do not cook eggs in their shell in the microwave.
- Recipe is adapted from Simply Recipes
- Visit our shop to browse quality Mediterranean ingredients including olive oils and spices.