Let's give sweet potatoes a little punch! This simple sweet potato recipe has a bit of a Mediterranean twist. Here sweet potatoes are dressed up with a few spices, fresh herbs, garlic, and a good drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
This is a healthy sweet potato recipe that's vegan and gluten free. But so tasty, everyone will enjoy it!
Sweet potatoes are such a gift. They're easy to cook. Hard to mess up. Pack great nutrition. And always satisfying!
Give me a few sweet potato fries, and we're instant friends! And if you're looking to make them a simple vegetarian main, these loaded sweet potato toasts will not disappoint. And if you seek smooth, mashed sweet potatoes for a lovely side, you'll want to check this one out.
I like sweet potatoes...a lot! But rather than playing up their sweetness too much, I like a little more flavor balance.
Enter this simple sweet potato recipe.
Why this sweet potato recipe works
This sweet potato recipe is one you make when you want a simple side dish on any given night of the week. Oh, but no one will mind seeing them on my Thanksgiving dinner table either.
The key to this sweet potato recipe is in building contrasting flavors. It isn't so much to tame the sweetness of the sweet potatoes, but to compliment them in a different way--in a way that "wakes up" the taste buds.
To create that complex flavor profile, I used a few warm spices--nutmeg, sweet paprika, and a hint of ground cardamom. But the punch comes from fresh ingredients in the form of herbs--parsley and mint, fresh garlic, and chopped scallions.
How to Make this Simple Sweet Potato Recipe
This is literally a 3-step recipe. How simple can we get? First, we cook the sweet potatoes in boiling water, and once they're nice and tender, we drain and transfer them to a large mixing bowl.
Then, while the sweet potatoes are warm, we season with some kosher salt and spices. Finally, we add in the garlic, fresh herbs, and scallions. A generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, and a gentle toss to bring everything together.
I like to let this dish sit for a few minutes at room temperature before serving.
Prepare Ahead Instructions for this Sweet Potato Recipe
These sweet potatoes can be made a night or so ahead of time. There are a couple of ways to do this.
1- Follow the entire recipe. Let the potatoes cool before storing in a tight-lid glass container. Refrigerate for up to one night. Bring to room temperature before serving. And yes, I do recommend serving them at room temperature if you do prepare them ahead.
2- Cook the sweet potatoes ahead of time, but do add the remaining ingredients. Once the plain potatoes have cooled completely, store in tight-lid glass container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Bring them to room temperature before you season and add the rest of the ingredients.
Which option to choose? The first packs a bigger punch, especially with the garlic and scallions in there If you feel it would be too strong, I'd go for the second option.
More Recipes to Try:Print
All-star sweet potato recipe, prepared Mediterranean-style with fresh herbs, garlic, and extra virgin olive oil. Vegan. Gluten Free.
- 3 lb/1360.78 g sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- ½ tsp/1.10 g ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp/1.05 g sweet paprika
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- Early Harvest Greek extra virgin olive oil
- Generous handful chopped fresh parsley
- Generous handful chopped fresh mint
- 3 to 5 fresh garlic cloves, chopped (start with small amount if not sure)
- 3 scallions, trimmed, white and green parts chopped
- Place sweet potatoes in a large pot and add just enough water to cover them. Boil for about 8 to 10 minutes or until the potatoes are just tender (test with a fork, it should go through easily). Drain.
- Transfer potatoes to a large mixing bowl. Season well with kosher salt and pepper; add spices. Add a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and toss gently to combine.
- Add fresh parsley, mint, garlic and scallions. Toss gently again to combine. Test and adjust seasoning to your liking.
- Transfer to a serving platter and set aside a few minutes to allow flavors to meld a bit before serving. Enjoy!
- Cook's tip: If you're unsure about the garlic, begin with a smaller amount, you can always go up. You can also leave the garlic out if you prefer.
- Prepare-ahead tip: You can prepare this recipe ahead a couple different ways. 1- Follow the recipe up to step #3. Let potatoes cool, then store in tight-lid glass container and refrigerate for up to one night. Bring to room temperature before serving. Note, flavors will be pretty strong especially if you have used all 5 garlic cloves.2- Another prepare-ahead option is to cook the sweet potatoes in advance (step #1) but do not add the remaining ingredients until you are ready to serve. Again, let potatoes cool completely, then store in a tight-lid glass container in the fridge. Bring them to room temperature, add remaining ingredients. You can give it a few minutes still before serving to allow flavors to meld.
- Recommended for this recipe: Early Harvest or Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives.) SAVE! Grab our Greek EVOO Bundle!
- Recommended for this recipe: all-natural nutmeg, sweet paprika, and cardamom. SAVE! create your own 3-pack with all 3 spices, or try our Ultimate Mediterranean Spice Bundle!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Side Dish/Vegan
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Sweet potato recipe, how to make sweet potatoes, sweet potatoes