There is nothing better in my book than a simple one-pan baked chicken. All the comfort with little work. And that’s what we have in today’s easy garlic rosemary chicken…except with an added festive twist using cranberries! Be sure to see the step-by-step photos below the recipe.
Every cook should have several chicken recipe in her arsenal. In fact, more than one rosemary chicken recipe is even better, right?!
Time for a confession. I was craving this easy rosemary roasted chicken and potato dinner, when I came up with today’s recipe. But upon examining a bag of cranberries that sat idly on my kitchen counter, I decided to take a more festive direction and create this garlic rosemary chicken with cranberries. So here we are!
The flavor stars here are decidedly Mediterranean: garlic, rosemary, and citrus. First, lots of garlic and fresh rosemary and a little paprika make a simple rub for the chicken. Then, for just a few minute, the rosemary chicken sits in a marinade of citrus and olive oil with onions and celery.
As far as the role of the pretty cranberries goes, I did not even go to the length of making a cranberry chutney as I have for this lamb recipe. But to “break” the tartness of the cranberries, I mixed them with brown sugar and a hint of white wine vinegar.
Once baked with the rosemary chicken and everything else, the cranberries make an excellent, juicy, and even slightly sweet topping. Plus, festive!Print
Garlic Rosemary Chicken with Cranberries
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2-3 tbsp white wine vinegar, more for later
- 6 pieces bone-in, skin on chicken (I used 2 chicken breasts and 4 thighs)
- 6-8 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/3 cup Private Reserve extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice of (do not discard used lemon halves)
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or water
- More fresh rosemary for garnish
- In a small bowl, combine the cranberries, brown sugar, and white wine vinegar. Set aside for now.
- Pat the chicken pieces dry. Rub the chicken with the minced garlic on both sides (make sure to apply some of the garlic underneath the chicken skins). Season well with salt and pepper. Combine the rosemary and paprika then apply to the chicken pieces on both sides and again underneath the skin.
- In a large bowl or deep enough dish, mix the olive oil, lemon juice and 2 tbsp white wine vinegar. Now add the chicken, celery, onions, and used lemon halves. Work everything together with clean hands. Set aside to marinate just for 15 minutes or so.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet. Place the chicken skin side down to brown on medium-high for 5 minutes. Turn over and brown on the other side.
- Place the chicken, onions, celery, lemon halves and any liquid from the marinade in a lightly oiled baking pan likethis one. Add 1/2 cup water or chicken broth, then add the sugared cranberries.
- Bake in the 425 degrees F heated-oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked through. Serve hot with Lebanese rice and your favorite salad.
Step photos for this garlic rosemary chicken recipe:
Combine cranberries, sugar, and white wine vinegar. Set aside
Rub chicken pieces with garlic, rosemary, paprika, salt and pepper. Place in a bowl with marinade, onions and celery.
Brown the chicken on both sides (do not discard the onions and celery)
Arrange the chicken in a lightly oiled baking dish with the onions, celery, any marinade liquid. Add water or chicken broth and then the cranberries. If you have a few springs of rosemary left, you can throw them right in, if you like.
Bake in 425 degrees F heated oven for 35-40 minutes. Chicken should be fully cooked through (internal temp should be at least 165 degrees F).