BEST Caprese Chicken Recipe with basil pesto, fresh mozzarella and ripe tomatoes. Ready in 20 minutes, this is perfect for any night of the week, but totally company-worthy! Plus, it’s gluten free, low carb, and only 288 calories per serving. You can make this chicken caprese in an indoor pan or griddle or fire up the grill, if you like.
- 1 lb/453.592 g boneless skinless chicken breasts (4 evenly thin pieces. Use a kitchen mullet to flatten chicken)
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil (I used Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil)
- Basil pesto (store bought is just fine, I used this one)
- 4 slices low-sodium fresh mozzarella cheese (about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in thickness each)
- 4 thick slices of ripe tomatoes
- Balsamic glaze or balsamic reduction (I used this one, about 2 to 3 tbsp)
- 8 Fresh basil leaves (leave 4 whole and slice the rest into ribbons)
- Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper (see cook’s tip #1 below for quick and even cooking)
- Heat an indoor griddle or pan over high heat. Drizzle about 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil to coat bottom of pan. (See Cook’s Tip #2 if you prefer to use outdoor grill)
- Add chicken and cook for 3 to 5 minutes on each side or till done (chicken’s internal temperature should register 165 degrees F.)
- At the last couple minutes or so of cooking, top each piece of chicken with a bit of the basil pesto, then add mozzarella slice on top.
- Remove from heat. Add fresh basil leaves and tomato slices on top, spoon a little balsamic glaze on top. Finally, sprinkle fresh basil ribbons.
- Cook’s Tip#1: You can make this recipe using 2 large chicken breasts, cut horizontally through the middle to make 4 thinner cutlets or pieces. If you like, use a kitchen mullet to tenderize and flatten the chicken breasts before cooking. This helps them quick quickly and evenly.
- Cook’s Tip #2: To use a gas grill. Oil grates and preheat the grill on medium-high heat. Grill chicken on each side for 3 to 5 minutes or until internal temperature registers 165 degrees F. Follow rest of the recipe as written.
- Cook’s Tip #3: For a shortcut, I used this store-bought basil pesto and this balsamic glaze.
- To Make Own Balsamic Glaze: pour 2 cups balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the vinegar thickens and is reduced to about 1/2 cup (20 to 25 minutes.) Set aside to cool for 10 minutes; it will continue to thicken.
- What to Serve Along? Caprese chicken works well with plain orzo or your favorite grain. I like to start the meal with something bright still like a bowl of this fresh cucumber salad or Mediterranean Three Bean Salad (the bean salad is hefty enough that you can probably just make it your side and skip the pasta/grain option.)
- Visit The Mediterranean Dish online store for our collection of Greek extra virgin olive oils (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives) and organic and all-natural spices and more!
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Caprese Chicken, Mozzarella Chicken, Balsamic Chicken, Italian Chicken