Easy roasted asparagus salad with tomatoes, basil and a lightly sherry vinaigrette! Use fried halloumi or cubed feta cheese if you want a bit of an indulgent twist. Makes a bright, show-stopping salad or side dish.
- 1.5 lb asparagus, hard end trimmed
- Early Harvest Greek extra virgin olive oil
- 4 oz Halloumi cheese, sliced into squares 1/2 inch in thickness (optional, not included in nutrition information)
- 3 cups/447 g grape tomatoes, halved
- 15 large basil leaves, torn
For the Sherry Vinaigrette
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the asparagus spears on a large oiled baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil (toss to coat and be sure to spread asparagus in one layer.) Roast in heated-oven for 15 to 20 mins until tender. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- If using halloumi cheese. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tbsp olive oil on medium heat until shimmering but not smoking. Pat cheese squares dry and fry them in batches for 1-2 minutes, turning over once with a spatula. When the cheese turns golden brown, remove from heat and set aside briefly (rest on a paper towel to drain excess oils)
- To make the vinaigrette, whisk together the vinegar with the extra virgin olive oil, garlic, sumac, salt and pepper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the grape tomatoes with the fried halloumi and toss them together with the sherry vinaigrette.
- Assemble the roasted asparagus on a serving platter and top with the tomato and halloumi mixture. Finally, add the basil leaves. Enjoy.
- Tip: halloumi cheese is optional here. If you want to keep this recipe vegan, omit halloumi. If you’d still like to use cheese, you can add creamy Greek feta instead. Do not fry the feta, simply add it at the very end when you add the basil leaves.
- Recommended for this Recipe: Early Harvest Greek extra virgin olive oil. SAVE! Try our Extra Virgin Olive Oil Bundle!
- Recommended for this Recipe: Sumac spice. SAVE! Create your own 3-pack or 6-pack from our all-natural or organic spice collections; or try our Ultimate Mediterranean Spice Bundle.
- Visit The Mediterranean Dish store
- Category: Salad or Side
- Method: Roasted
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Roasted Asparagus, Asparagus Salad