Easy grilled beef shawarma recipe with homemade shawarma spice mixture. Add warm pita pockets, a few veggies, and tahini sauce to serve!
For Shawarma Spice Rub
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp Sweet Spanish paprika
- 3/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1.5 lb beef flank steak (about 1/2 inch in thickness)
- Salt and Pepper
- Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- In a small bowl, mix together the shawarma spices. Set aside for now.
- Place steak in a heavy kitchen bag (ziplock) and seal. Place it on top of a heavy-duty board and beat with a meat tenderizer on one side. Turn steak over and beat on the other (I used this meat tenderizer)
- Remove steak from the bag and season with salt and pepper on both sides. Brush both sides with extra virgin olive oil, then spread the minced garlic on each side.
- Rub each side of steak with a generous amount of the shawarma spices you prepared earlier. If you have time, cover and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight (making sure you take it out and let it rest about 1 hour before grilling.) If you don’t have the time for steack to marinate overnight, simply let it rest at room temperature for 30 mins to 1 hour before grilling.
- While the steak is resting, pita and fixings. Make tahini sauce according to this recipe or hummus according to this recipe (if you make hummus from dry chickpeas, you’ll need to work on preparing the chickpeas the night before)
- When ready, heat a gas grill on high, and brush grates with oil. Give the flank steak another brush of extra virgin olive oil. Grill on high heat for 3 to 4 minutes per side, turning over once (this should produce a rare to medium-rare steak, but I let mine stay on a bit longer for those who like it more well-done.)
- Transfer steak to a cutting board and let rest for 5 to 7 minutes. Cut against the grain into thin slices.
- Serve grilled beef shawarma in pita pockets with tahini sauce (or hummus) and arugula, tomatoes, onions, and pickles. Enjoy!
- Category: Entree
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Keywords: Beef shawarma, homemade beef shawarma, homemade shawarma, shawarma recipe, beef shawarma recipe, grilled shawarma recipe, grilled beef shawarma