A simple vegetable tagine recipe packed with warm Moroccan flavors. One of my new favorite one-pot meals. Vegan and Gluten free!
Think of Moroccan tagine as a succulent, slowly simmered stew. Similar to this Moroccan Lamb Stew, the balance of sweet and savory flavors, coupled with the intensity of spices set this vegetable tagine apart from your average stew.
This easy Moroccan vegetable tagine begins with a few humble ingredients, you probably already have: potatoes, carrots, onions, and garlic.
A heaping portion of chopped dried apricots, is what provides the subtle sweetness in this hearty vegetable tagine. And to balance it off, tangy tomatoes, and a splash of lemon juice (which is added at the very end to wake everything up).
The main spice used in this easy vegetable tagine recipe is a new favorite in our shop: Harissa (pronounced: ha-REE-sah). An all-natural unique blend of three types of chili, along with sumac, caraway, fennel and more! To play up the depth and warmth of harissa spice, I added a little cinnamon, coriander, and a touch of turmeric.
Traditionally, tagine is cooked in a clay (or ceramic) pot like this one, wide at the bottom and topped with a narrow, cone-shaped cover. But in this modern improvisation, I simply used my Dutch Oven.
More Recipes to Try
Learn more about Mediterranean Spices here.Print
All-star vegetable tagine recipe! Simple vegetable stew packed with the perfect balance of Moroccan flavors. Vegan and Gluten free.
- 1/4 cup Private Reserve extra virgin olive oil, more for later
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 8-10 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp Harissa spice blend
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 cups canned whole peeled tomatoes
- 1/2 cup heaping chopped dried apricot
- 1 quart low-sodium vegetable broth (or broth of your choice)
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Handful fresh parsley leaves
- In a large heavy pot or Dutch Oven, heat olive oil over medium heat until just shimmering. Add onions and increase heat to medium-high. Saute for 5 minutes, tossing regularly.
- Add garlic and all the chopped veggies. Season with salt and spices. Toss to combine.
- Cook for 5 to 7 minutes on medium-high heat, mixing regularly with a wooden spoon.
- Add tomatoes, apricot and broth. Season again with just a small dash of salt.
- Keep the heat on medium-high, and cook for 10 minutes. Then reduce heat, cover and simmer for another 20 to 25 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Stir in chickpeas and cook another 5 minutes on low heat.
- Stir in lemon juice and fresh parsley. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more salt or harissa spice blend to your liking.
- Transfer to serving bowls and top each with a generous drizzle of Private Reserve extra virgin olive oil. Serve hot with your favorite bread, couscous, or rice. Enjoy!
Keywords: Vegetable Tagine, Moroccan vegetable stew