This “saucy” cilantro lime chicken takes on a delicious Mediterranean twist with a special spice mix and a zesty, garlicy au jus. Word to the wise, make every use of the tasty au jus! See easy video tutorial below.
Of the many tasty chicken recipes I have featured here, this cilantro lime chicken is most often requested by my biggest critics–the family. It’s also my go-to recipe when I’m looking for a comforting, unpretentious but bold dish to serve company.
Watch the Quick Video Tutorial for Cilantro Lime Chicken:
Clearly the stars of this recipe are cilantro, lime, and garlic.
But before they come into play, a Mediterranean spice mix, including two of my favorites (paprika and nutmeg), covers the chicken thighs. A little browning in my go-to extra virgin olive oil begins the process. Then the chicken finishes cooking in the oven, allowing the garlicy au jus to work it’s magic in tenderizing and imparting amazing flavor.
What to Serve with Cilantro Lime Chicken
You get a lot of au jus with this cilantro lime chicken; that’s liquid gold my friend! It tastes way too good to waste; be sure to have your favorite crusty bread to sop it up. You can also serve it on top of some rice, couscous, or orzo pasta.
Cilantro Lime Chicken Recipe
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 8 chicken thighs, bone in, skin on
- Olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 limes, juice of
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 bunch cilantro, stems removed, chopped; more for garnish
- Private Reserve extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix the spices. Pat the chicken thighs dry, and season each thigh on both sides with the spice mix. Be sure to season underneath the skin as well. Let the chicken thighs sit in room temperature for about 15 minutes.
- When ready, heat 1-2 tbsp of olive oil in a cast iron skillet with a lid like this one. Brown the chicken thighs deeply on both sides in the heated oil. Remove from skillet and set aside briefly.
- Lower the heat and deglaze the skillet with the white wine. Let cook to reduce and then add the broth.
- Bring the liquid to a simmer then add lime juice and garlic.
- Now return the chicken to the skillet; and toss in the cilantro. Bring to a high-simmer for about 5 minutes or so.
- Cover and transfer to the 375 degree F-heated oven for 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with more cilantro, if you like.
- A simple fattoush salad and a side of rice, couscous or Greek potatoes complete this chicken dinner.
More Recipes to Try
* This post first appeared on The Mediterranean Dish in 2015 and has been updated with new content for readers’ benefit.