An easy Mediterranean one-pan farro recipe with mushrooms, peas, garlic, and fresh herbs! Pretty much a family favorite!
Farro is nutty-flavored Mediterranean grain that has been in use since the time of ancient Egypt!
And not only is it chockful of good-for-you nutrients, but it is also hearty, deeply satisfying, and quite versatile. You’ll find all sorts of year-round farro recipes, from stews to salads and more.
Because farro is chewier than Italian rice and doesn’t release starch when cooking, it doesn’t need constant tending. That’s why, I personally like to use it as an easy alternative in dishes like risotto.
Today’s farro recipe with mushrooms and peas is a risotto-like dish, only it doesn’t require a ton of TLC.
A perfectly filling farro recipe with mushrooms and peas. To capitalize on farro’s earthy flavor, I add green onions and fresh garlic, while keeping the spices to a minimum. A little grated Parmesan and fresh mint leaves round finish this simple dish.
I used Italian pearled farro, which typically cooks in 20 minutes or so.Print
One-Pan Farro Recipe with Mushrooms and Peas
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Olive oil
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms,cleaned, trimmed and sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 cup Italian Pearled Farro
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 spring fresh thyme, leaves only
- Salt and pepper
- 2 1/4 cup vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- In a deep skillet with a lid (like this one), heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add green onions, mushrooms and peas; saute for 3-4 minutes. Add fresh garlic and stir briefly until fragrant.
- Now add farro, sweet paprika, thyme, and a little salt and pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pot, boil the vegetable broth. Add the boiling broth to the farro mixture.
- Bring everything to a boil, then lower heat to medium-low. Cover and cook for 20 minutes until the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and add grated Parmesan and fresh mint leaves. Serve warm. Enjoy!
More Recipes to Try: