Bold and punchy, this apple cider vinaigrette is quick, easy and full of flavor! Use this homemade dressing on salads, chicken, and roasted vegetables!
So much more than just a salad dressing, this apple cider vinaigrette is tangy, light, and pairs perfectly with all your favorite recipes. Use it to dress salads, as a marinade for chicken and fish, or to grill veggies! Ditch the mayo based coleslaw this summer and dress your next cabbage salad with apple cider vinaigrette instead.
Featuring a sweet and savory blend of honey, Dijon mustard, and extra virgin olive oil, this apple cider dressing is bold, punchy, and complements everything. You really can’t go wrong!
Plus, like our basil, Dijon, and balsamic vinaigrette, it’s unbelievably easy to make, super nutritious, and tastier than anything you’ll find in the store. One bite, and you’ll never go back to pre-made dressings again!
Table of Contents
What is in Apple Cider Vinaigrette?
Just 7 pantry staples combine to create this recipe. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Apple cider vinegar: This provides a nice tangy flavor. Make sure to use apple cider vinegar with the mother for the best results.
- Honey: Just a tablespoon adds a hint of sweetness, balancing out the rest of the ingredients. Our Greek honey has a rich flavor that works well with this recipe, but you can use what you have on hand.
- Dijon mustard: Its peppery taste pairs perfectly with the punchy flavor of the vinegar.
- Garlic: 1 minced clove should do it here. However, if you’re a garlic lover like me, feel free to include more. Check out our How to Mince Garlic article for all my tips and tricks!
- Extra virgin olive oil: Make sure to use a high-quality olive oil here. We love to incorporate our Early Harvest Greek extra virgin olive oil because of its pungent, peppery notes, but any savory variety will taste great.
- Salt and pepper: Use as little or as much as you’d like to punch up the flavor.
How to Make Apple Cider Vinaigrette
This dressing comes together in a matter of minutes with just two simple steps!
- Combine the ingredients: Combine the apple cider vinegar in a small bowl along with the honey and mustard. Once the ingredients are well incorporated and smooth, stir in the garlic.
- Add the oil: Whisking continuously, slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Don’t quit whisking until all of the ingredients have been incorporated! Otherwise, they’re likely to separate. Once fully emulsified, season the dressing with salt and pepper to your liking. You can also play up the flavor even more with a dash of sumac for extra brightness or a pinch of aleppo pepper for a kick of heat!
What is Apple Cider Vinegar?
Used in a wide variety of recipes like Lebanese chicken fatteh dinner bowls, chicken marbella, and piyaz, apple cider vinegar is a staple in the Mediterranean diet. It is made by exposing crushed apples to yeast. This transforms the sugars into alcohol, and bacteria is added to ferment the sugars further, transforming them into vinegar.
As a result, apple cider vinegar has a strong, pungent flavor and contains probiotics that contribute to improved gut health, reduce glucose spikes and may aid in weight loss, according to a recent article in Forefront, a health and science publication for University of Chicago medical professionals. Apple cider vinegar is rich in B vitamins and polyphenols, too!
How to Store Homemade Apple Cider Vinegar Dressing
This apple cider vinaigrette will stay fresh for up to 7 days in the fridge if you can get it to last that long! Just be sure to transfer it to a mason jar or sealable container. For the best results, give it a good shake to blend the ingredients again before serving as they tend to separate.
More Homemade Dressing Recipes
Early Harvest Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Our high-quality Early Harvest extra virgin olive oil is fruity and pungent with a peppery finish. It's perfect for dressings and vinaigrettes.
Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- Make the vinaigrette: In a small bowl, combine the apple cider vinegar, honey, and mustard. Whisk to combine, then add the minced garlic.
- Add the oil: While whisking continuously, drizzle the extra virgin olive oil into the bowl. You should end up with a well emulsified dressing. Season to your taste with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Vinaigrettes are a culinary playground! Play with the ratios to see what you like best. If you prefer more garlic add another clove. If you’re out of apple cider vinegar try another kind – just make sure it has a subtle sweetness.
- Visit our shop to browse quality Mediterranean ingredients including olive oils, honey, jams and spices.