Flavor-packed Mediterranean baked eggs w/ bright bell peppers & red onions. Easy, low-carb egg bake brunch; you’ll love the many ways you can change it up!
- 1 green bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, halved then thinly sliced
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 tsp/4 g za’atar spice blend, divided
- 1 tsp/2.3 g ground cumin
- 1 tsp/2 g Aleppo chili pepper (or sweet chili pepper)
- Early Harvest Greek extra virgin olive oil
- 6 large eggs
- Chopped fresh parsley, a large handful
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- Crumbled feta, a small bit to your liking (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place sliced bell peppers (all colors) in a large mixing bowl. Add red onions. Season with salt and pepper, 1 tsp za’atar, cumin and aleppo chili pepper. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Toss to coat.
- Transfer the pepper and onion medley to a large sheet pan. Spread in one layer. Roast in heated oven for 15 minutes or so.
- Remove pan from oven briefly. Carefully make 6 “holes” or openings among the roasted veggies. Carefully crack each egg into a hole, keeping the yoke intact (it helps to crack the egg in a small dish to slide carefully into each hole.)
- Return pan to oven and bake for another 8 minutes or until egg whites have settled (of course, go longer if you prefer harder eggs.)
- Remove from oven. Season eggs to your liking. Sprinkle remaining 1 tsp za’atar all over. Add parsley, diced tomatoes, and a sprinkle of feta. Serve immediately!
- Cook’s Tip: Variations. You can really make this baked egg recipe your own. Change up the veggies to use what you have on hand; adjust roasting time accordingly (ex: zucchini, broccoli, thinly sliced carrots, spring onions.) You can also play with a different spice combination (ex: if you like smoky flavors, use some smoked paprika with salt and pepper. Try harissa spice blend and a pinch of turmeric for a Moroccan twist. Dried oregano or basil for a little Italian.)
- Leftovers? Leftovers will keep for up to 3 days in the fridge.To store, divide leftovers into glass containers with tight lids, however many meals you plan on, and refrigerate. Delicious at room temperature or warmed through. To warm, use a skillet on medium-heat just for brief minutes.
- Make-ahead. This is an easy enough recipe to make on the day you want to serve it. It will look best then, but if you want to try and work a little bit ahead, you can prep the peppers and onions in advance and store them in the fridge overnight. You can even roast the veggies a night or so ahead. Store them in the fridge in a tight-lid container. When ready, spread on sheet pan and follow recipe from step #5. Not ideal, since you’ll be cleaning the sheet pan twice.
- Recommended for this Recipe: from our all-natural spice collection, za’atar; ground cumin; and Aleppo style chili pepper. SAVE! Create your own 6-pack of spices.
- Recommended for this recipe: Greek Early Harvest Extra Virgin Olive oil from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: Baked Eggs, Egg Bake, Low Carb Breakfast