Turn a few eggs and some veggies into the perfect meal! These baked eggs with bell peppers and onions takes one sheet pan and comes together in 20 minutes! Easy. Satisfying. And incredibly delicious. And you can totally make this recipe your own to use up what veggies you have on hand!
- 1 green bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, halved then thinly sliced
- Salt and black pepper
- Spices of your choice (I used 2 tsp za’atar blend, 1 tsp ground cumin and 1 tsp Aleppo chili pepper)
- Extra virgin olive oil (I used Early Harvest Greek extra virgin olive oil)
- 6 large eggs
- Chopped fresh parsley, a large handful
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- Crumbled feta, a small bit to your liking (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place sliced bell peppers (all colors) in a large mixing bowl. Add red onions. Season with kosher salt and pepper, 1 tsp za’atar, 1 tsp cumin and 1 tsp Aleppo chili pepper (keep the remaining za’atar for later). Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Toss to coat.
- Transfer the pepper and onion medley to a large sheet pan. Spread in one layer. Bake in heated oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven briefly. Carefully make 6 “holes” or openings among the roasted veggies. Carefully crack each egg into a hole, keeping the yoke intact (it helps to crack the egg in a small dish to slide carefully into each hole.)
- Return pan to oven and bake until the egg whites settle. Watch the yokes to see them turn to the doness you like (anywhere from 5 to 8 minutes).
- Remove from oven. Season eggs to your liking. Sprinkle remaining 1 tsp za’atar all over. Add parsley, diced tomatoes, and a sprinkle of feta. Serve immediately!
- Variations: You can really make this baked egg recipe your own. Change up the veggies to use what you have on hand; adjust roasting time accordingly (ex: zucchini, broccoli, yellow squash, spring onions are some options). You can also play with a different spice combination (ex: if you like smoky flavors, use some smoked paprika with salt and pepper. Try harissa spice blend and a pinch of turmeric for a Moroccan twist. Dried oregano or basil for a little Italian.)
- Prepare-Ahead Tips: This is an easy enough recipe to make on the day you want to serve it. It will look best then, but if you want to try and work a little bit ahead, you can prep the peppers and onions in advance and store them in the fridge overnight. You can even roast the veggies a night or so ahead. Store them in the fridge in a tight-lid container. When ready, spread on sheet pan and follow recipe from step #5. Not ideal, since you’ll be cleaning the sheet pan twice.
- Storage Tips: Leftovers will keep for up to 3 days in the fridge.To store, divide leftovers into glass containers with tight lids, however many meals you plan on, and refrigerate. Delicious at room temperature or warmed through. To warm, use a skillet on medium-heat just for brief minutes.
- Visit our Online Shop to browse Mediterranean ingredients including extra virgin olive oils and all-natural and organic spices including za’atar, cumin and Aleppo pepper.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American/Mediterranean
Keywords: Baked Eggs, Sheet Pan Eggs, Egg Bake