Simple crustless zucchini quiche recipe with fresh herbs, tomatoes, and shallots. Perfect for breakfast, lunch, or a light dinner. See our suggestions for what to serve along!
I have a big love relationship with quiche, and in particular, crustless quiche. It’s one of those foods that are fancy and, at the same time, so deeply practical. And it’s a great way to use up those veggies forgotten in the back of the fridge.
Case in point, today’s crustless zucchini quiche.
This simple zucchini quiche recipe came about at the tail end of a long week–when I’d run out of ingredients but one lone zucchini, a tomato, and some shallots. Talk about turning a few humble ingredients into a wholesome meal, eh?!
Why this curstless zucchini quiche works
This zucchini quiche starts with sauteing zucchini slices along with shallots in extra virgin olive oil. This rids us of zucchini moisture, while already building flavor as the zucchini browns and the shallots caramelize nicely.
The cooked zucchini and shallots also serve as the “crust” lining the bottom of my quiche dish, because here, I don’t even bother making pastry. Still, I augmented the egg mixture with just a little bit of white wheat flour, so we still get a hearty quiche without the crust. Throw in some fresh parsley, or your favorite fresh herb, for a little flavor lift.
Now, as you would expect, this crustless zucchini quiche does utilize some cheese. I kept things light by using only 1/2 cup part-skim mozzarella and a sprinkle of Parmesan.
What to serve with this crustless zucchini quiche
I like to serve this zucchini quiche with a bright, flavor-packed Mediterranean salad (or two) next to it. My first choice here is Balela salad because it is a more substantial salad with loads of chickpeas. But a few other options: Fattoush Salad; Tabouli; 3-ingredient Mediterranean salad; and Orange and Pomegranate salad.
A couple more notes on this zucchini quiche
This recipe is quite forgiving, and you can add in a handful of leafy greens like spinach, for example, or try different veggies that are in season.
If you’re into meal prep, you can make this crustless zucchini quiche a few days ahead and refrigerate. Simply reheat a slice or two as needed (or eat it cold, which I really enjoy!)
Simple crustless zucchini quiche recipe with fresh herbs, tomatoes, and shallots. Perfect for breakfast, lunch, or a light dinner.
- 1 medium tomato sliced into thin rounds
- Private Reserve extra virgin olive oil
- 1 zucchini, sliced into rounds (about 8 ounces sliced zucchini)
- 3 shallots, sliced into rounds (about 3.5 ounces sliced shallots)
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 tsp sweet Spanish paprika, divided
- 1/2 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella (nearly 2 ounces)
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan (about 0.35 ounces)
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour OR all-purpose flour (about 2 ounces), sifted
- 1/4 cup packed fresh parsley (about 0.2 ounces)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Arrange sliced tomatoes on paper towel and sprinkle with salt. Leave for a few minutes, then pat dry.
- Meanwhile, in a large cooking skillet, heat 2 tbsp Private Reserve extra virgin olive oil over medium heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add zucchini and shallots. Season with kosher salt, pepper, and 1/2 tsp sweet paprika. Raise heat slightly, and sautee, tossing regularly, until vegetables are tender and nicely colored (with some brown spots on zucchini).
- Transfer the cooked zucchini and shallots mixture to the bottom of a lightly oiled 9-inch pie dish like this one. Arrange sliced tomatoes on top. Add mozzarella, and Parmesan (spread evenly across).
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, remaining 1/2 tsp paprika, baking powder, flour, and fresh parsley.
- Pour egg mixture into the pie dish on top of the cheese mixture.
- Bake in 350 degrees F heated-oven for about 30 minutes or until the egg mixture is well set in the dish. Remove from oven and wait 5 to 7 minutes before slicing to serve (Quiche will puff up slightly because of the baking powder, but will quickly go down as it sits.)
- Salad options to serve along: Balela Salad; Fattoush Salad; Tabouli; 3-ingredient Mediterranean Salad; Orange and Pomegranate Salad
- Recommended for this recipe: Private Reserve Greek extra virgin olive oil (from organically grown and processed Koroneiki olives). SAVE! Try our Greek EVOO Bundle!
- Recommended for this recipe: All-natural Sweet Spanish Paprika.
- SAVE! Try our Ultimate Mediterranean Spice Bundle, or create your own 6-pack or 3-pack from our all-natural or organic spice collections.
- Category: Entree
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: French/Mediterranean
Keywords: Zucchini quiche, crustless zucchini quiche, crustless zucchini quiche recipe, zucchini quiche recipe, quiche recipe, vegetarian quiche recipe