Eggplant lovers, raise your hands proudly! And if you’ve ever wondered how to cook eggplant, today is your day. This eggplant parmigiana recipe will rock your world!
- 2 eggplants, thinly sliced the long way
- 2 large eggs
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil (I used canola oil)
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 oz Parmesan cheese, grated, (more if needed)
- a bunch of basil leaves (reserve a few for garnish)
- 10 oz mozzarella cheese, sliced (more if needed)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Lay eggplant slices on a large baking sheet lined with paper towel. Sprinkle with salt and set aside for 30 minutes while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Beat the eggs in a shallow bowl and season with salt and pepper. Place the flour on a plate next to the eggs.
- Pat eggplant dry. Coat an eggplant slice in the flour, shake off the excess, then dip it into the egg and let the excess drip back into the bowl. Repeat with the remaining slices.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or skillet over medium heat. Working in batches if necessary, cook the eggplant slices for 5 minutes on each side, or until nicely golden. Drain well on paper towels, then continue until all the slices are fried.
- Layer the tomato sauce, eggplant slices, Parmesan, basil, and mozzarella in an ovenproof serving dish. Season to your taste.
- Continue layering until all the ingredients are used, finishing with a layer of tomato sauce and the cheese on top.
- Place the dish on a baking sheet and bake in 325 degrees F heated-oven for 30 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese has melted.
- Remove from oven, top with extra basil leaves and serve hot.
- Visit our store to browse our spices, olive oils and bundles!
- Category: Entree
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Eggplant, Italian Eggplant, Parmigiana